* Registration required
* Registration required
Activity Guide Forums
Receive special discounts and/or perks at Cayman's finest hotels (Free registration takes 3 minutes)
Prior to 1948 the closest thing to Cayman Islands hotels were humble waddle and daub abodes, which were home to the Cayman Islands early settlers, delighted to meet and introduce visitors to their then rugged and pristine island paradise. In those days ‘paradise’ was more a state of mind, adventure, tranquility, culture and friendship. Technology was virtually nonexistent and mosquitoes ran rampant. Yet for all its ruggedness, the natural beauty and charm of the early Cayman Islands and its inhabitants created lifetimes of cherished memories for all the early visitors to roam her shores, long before the first modern hotels were constructed in the Cayman Islands.
Cayman Islands hotels cater to business travel as well as recreational travel offering a broad range of hotels, facilities and amenities throughout all three Cayman Islands: Grand Cayman, Little Cayman and Cayman Brac. Whether you prerfer world-class lodging with every amenity, budget hotels; or visiting on business and need all the functionality and amenities to conduct meetings andconferences, you will find everything you possibly need at the many scenic hotels and resorts in the Cayman Islands. Whatever lodging facilities you desire, you will find them in the Cayman Islands. Many Cayman Islands hotels offer different types of accommodations, from bed and breakfasts, hotels, and resorts, to international hotel chains, your Cayman Islands vacation will afford hotel accommodations to suit every Cayman vacation lifestyle and hotel budget.
In 1948 the first weekly air service was established via seaplane, followed in 1950 by the first official Cayman hotel—Bay View Hotel, located on Grand Cayman’s west coast in what would later become Seven Mile Beach. In 1951 Galleon Beach and Sea View Hotel spotted the seaside, at a time when no structures rose higher than a coconut palm tree. Bob Soto began operating Cayman’s first official dive company and the hotels and hotels offered on site restaurants and amenities for divers.
In 1952 Owen Roberts International Airport (named in memory of the aviator of the first passenger sea plane) opened and remains Grand Cayman’s sole airport. The first commercial bank, Barclays Bank, opened a branch in George Town the following year, followed shortly by Cayman National Bank. The island's airline, Cayman Airways, was formed in 1968 with the purchase of 51% of the shares by the Cayman Islands Government from Cayman Brac Airways, with LACSA, the Costa Rican airline, holding the remaining 49% of shares. Today Cayman Airways is fully owned by the Government of the Cayman Islands.
The census of 1943 listed the main industries of the Cayman Islands as seamen, agriculture, services, construction and fishing, with a combined workforce of 2,531. By 1960 this figure rose to 3,145 with little change in occupations. During this period of rapid growth, the Cayman Islands transformed into one of the most popular visitor destinations in the world, boasting several hotels, hotels, condominiums and guest houses.
In 1966 the Cayman Islands Tourist Board was established, closely followed by the Mosquito Research and Control Unit (MRCU) with development aid from the United Kingdom. The effectiveness of the MRCU contributed to the level of development in the Cayman Islands and its ensuing widespread popularity among visitors from around the world.
As of 2010, the Cayman Islands have over 1,000 hotel rooms, encompassing everything from the most basic accommodation to lavish five star hotels with every conceivable amenity.
Comprehensive Guide to Cayman Islands Hotels