Play Stop
Memberlist Register Follow Cayman Islands Activity Guide on Twitter  Cayman Activity Guide on My space Follow Cayman Activity Guide on Facebook
Profile Log in to check your private messages

Royal Palms Live Webcam
Temperature: 71.4°F / 21.9°C | Humidity: 73% | Pressure: 30.06in / 1018hPa (Steady) | Conditions: Partly Cloudy | Wind Direction: NNE | Wind Speed: 2.0mph / 3.2km/h | Water Temperature: 84 ° F
FAQFAQ TOSTOSSearchSearch View unanswered postsView unanswered posts  
Earn CAG Credits with Every Review - Reward Values $25 - $1,200

Holiday Taxi | Cayman Taxi Fares | Grocery Delivery | DISCOUNT 5 Star Rating

As a non-registered guest, you are only able to read a portion of our forums. For complete access to all forums and the lowest prices and greatest savings, please spend a few minutes and register.

Holiday Taxi | Cayman Taxi Fares | Grocery Delivery | DISCOUNT
Rated: 5 stars out of 5 (19 ratings)

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic      Cayman Activity Guide Forum Index -> Transportation

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Joe StebbinsReply with quote
Founder/Administrator
Credits:
(71)

Founder/Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Holiday Taxi | Cayman Taxi Fares | Grocery Delivery | DISCOUNT

Taxi fares are relatively expensive in the Cayman Islands so I highly recommend renting a vehicle from Andy's or Economy for the greatest value and to derive the most fun and satisfaction from your vacation by being able to frequent all the most popular restaurants and attractions throughout Grand Cayman.

I do appreciate that for myriad valid reasons some visitors will not want to rent a vehicle. For taxi service that you can depend on—and even an Activity Guide discount, contact my friend Chris at Holiday Taxi.

Chris has several taxis, most of which can safely and comfortably seat up to 12 passengers. For larger groups, Chris uses multiple taxis with a combined seating capacity of at least 40 people.

You will find basic rate information in this topic for various districts and destinations. From the airport, the fares are all fixed and usually based on the district so Chris can not pick up passengers at the airport; that being the only restriction, he can take you to and from any part of Grand Cayman.

At the cruise ship dock, taxis are classified as tour operators, requiring a special permit and allowing them to charge much higher rates. This is reason alone for cruise passengers in particular to contact Holiday Taxi ahead of time and make arrangements to meet near the dock.

I can assure you that whatever the long distance charges may cost will pale in comparison to the savings you will realize; in addition to being whisked away and beginning your Cayman Islands adventure immediately upon reaching shore, leaving crowds of cruise passengers behind you waiting in long costly lines.

Cruise passengers will find that Chris is a fun and extremely knowledgeable Caymanian who can be trusted to help make every moment of your single day in Cayman a memorable and rewarding experience.

Simply call ahead and request the Activity Guide discount.

Phone: 345-947-1066

Mobile: 345-945-4491

0 person likes this post.

Founder/Administrator
Credits:
(71)

Founder/Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Published Taxi Fares

Published taxi fares can be somewhat nebulous. The published rates are for standard fares but depending on such factors as the fluctuation of gas prices, taxi fares can and do vary. For example, no taxi will take one person from somewhere near the cruise dock to Public Beach during rush hour for $5. There are a lot of factors to consider such as the duration of the ride; the number of passengers and luggage; and whether or not the drive can be classified as a tour, as in the case of the cruise ship dock.

At this site we try to provide people with information on how to experience the Cayman Islands in a very relaxing and crowd-free manner.

For cruise passengers with only a single day, the most cost effective and rewarding option of all is to book a Stingray City trip with Soto's Cruises or Oh Boy Charters and have them drop you off afterward anywhere on Seven Mile Beach as far as Public Beach for free. From there you could arrange to have Holiday Taxi take you back to the dock.

Bob7Reply with quote
Frequent Flyer0
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Joe thx for the real-life explanation. It makes the $1.50 West Bay bus look pretty good. Is the closest bus station on Edward near the library?

Founder/Administrator
Credits:
(71)

Founder/Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject:

The new bus terminal is located adjacent the Public Library on Edward St. in downtown George Town and serves as the dispatch point for buses to all districts. There are 38 mini-buses operated by 24 licensed operators, serving eight routes. Daily service starts at 6 a.m. from the depot and the schedule is from George Town to West Bay: every 15 minutes, 6 a.m. - 11 p.m., Sunday - Thursday; 6 a.m. - midnight, Fri. & Sat. Fare is CI$1.50/US$ 1.88 each way.

NOTE: Prices are subject to change and I suspect they will based on the increasing costs of fuel.

The new system uses color-coded logos located on the front and rear of buses to identify routes. Route 1 (yellow) while Route 2 (lime green) cover George Town to West Bay. Route 1 (yellow) goes directly by the Turtle Farm and Route 2 (lime green) will charge an extra CI$ 1.00/US$ 1.25 to stop at the Turtle Farm. Licensed buses are identified by blue license plates. To maintain consistency in fares, each bus must display a fare table outlining standard government-authorized fares.

The number for public comment and questions is 1-345-945-5100.

divnpaulReply with quote
Moderator0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject:

We've hopped on the mini van buses for years. It's good to see that they are on a more regular schedule. Smile

Bob7Reply with quote
Frequent Flyer0
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Thx guys. Will the driver accept $US or should I have Cayman $?

Jeez the buses in Europe were cheap, the best deal was Sardinia, we took an hour trip on a Greyhound type bus for $3. Here that would be about $50.

CelineReply with quote
Ms. Popularity0
Ms. Popularity

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject:

US money is no problem Very Happy

Celine

divnpaulReply with quote
Moderator0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject:

Although, you might get change back in CI dollars...

cherieclarkcoleReply with quote
Newbie0

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Possible to reserve a van and driver for half day?

I hate spending the time to rent cars and we will need two cars to accommodate the 10 of us in August. Any possibility of hiring a driver and van for 4 hours to get everyone taken care of? I just hate to waste time renting and returning rental cars. Thanks

Founder/Administrator
Credits:
(71)

Founder/Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject:

cherieclarkcole - I'm pretty sure the taxi vans can hold ten. Do a search for Elaine and Taxi. You'll find a few posts with her number. Give her a call and get rates and arrange a meeting place.

Where are you planning on going?

In 4 hours you could go to quite a few really nice attractions on the way to East End and enjoy an incredible meal at Portofino or Lighthouse.

This would be a good topic for you to read

cherieclarkcoleReply with quote
Newbie0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject:

Hi Joe,

Thank you soooo much for the info. We will be on Grand Cayman on August 9. We range in age from 1 year to 54 years young. There are 3 divers and 7 snorkelers and beach goers. I am having trouble arranging an excursion that accommodates all of us and I really want to have a great day for everyone....so I thought maybe drop the divers off then the rest of us go to Rum Point, and the driver could go back and pick up the divers to join us for the rest of a great day, and then back to the ship. I guess I just need advice. Maybe go to Eden Rock to dive and snorkel and then to a beach for lunch. I just really want to have a great day on Grand Cayman. I appreciate your help.

Cherie

Founder/Administrator
Credits:
(71)

Founder/Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject:

cherieclarkcole - You don't need to spend all that time and money renting a vehicle.

Have the 7 snorkelers go to Stingray City with Soto's Cruises. They will pick them all up right near the dock and drop them off somewhere afterwards like Royal Palms.

The 3 divers can go with Off the Wall, who will pick them up and drop them off at Royal Palms afterward where you can all meet up.

Arrange a taxi from Chris to take you back to the dock and leave yourselves at least an hour to walk around. Be sure to print out our They will save you a little cash on lots of things around the ship area.

Between the coupons and what you will save on a taxi you can all have an incredible lunch at the Lobster Pot or Guy Harvey's Grill. Wink

casherReply with quote
Temporary Resident0
Temporary Resident

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: How much $ for a cab to our hotel??

Hi All! Happy Friday!

We're staying at the Westin, and decided to rent from Avis (PURE convenience and corporate discounts). So we need to get a cab from the airport. Can anyone tell me approximately how much this 'should' cost? I'd like to be prepared!!

Thank you!

Captain JackReply with quote
Native0
Native

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Hi Casher..... if you are renting from AVIS you can get your car right at the airport, they have an office right across the street....

FYI, it is about $25.00 for the trip to the Westin....

Have a Great Day!!!

"I Hate Wearing Socks"

garymReply with quote
Newbie0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject:

Joe Stebbins wrote:

At this site we try to provide people with information on how to experience the Cayman Islands in a very relaxing and crowd-free manner. My standard recommendation for a small group of people wanting only to spend a peaceful day at the beach would be to go to either Comfort Suites or the Hyatt. The taxi fare to either of those locations would be about the same, even though they are several miles apart and run about $10/person based on at least 2 people.

If anyone wants to see a little more of the island and (say) go to the Turtle Farm for 45 minutes, then Hell for 15 minutes and then be dropped off at a quiet beach, the cost would run about $20/person based on 4 people. With fewer people, it would cost more.

I know a local gal with a taxi that can seat up to 9 people who is very reasonable and quite knowledgeable of the island. Her name is Elaine and she can be reached at: 1-345-917-8636.

Thanks, Joe! This is valuable information! We've been to Grand Cayman twice on cruises and we've been at a loss to find exactly what you've outlined. Making an assumption here, but the hotels you list above are just landmarks where to get out of the taxi, right? The Hyatt, etc don't "own" private beaches or anything like that, do they? Other places in the Caribbean do allow private ownership (Roatan Honduras comes to mind).

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Cayman Activity Guide Forum Index -> Transportation
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Rate as     
5 Star Rating  based on 19 ratings.
Post a reply

Choose Display Order
User Permissions