Play Stop
Memberlist Register Follow Cayman Islands Activity Guide on Twitter  Cayman Activity Guide on My space Follow Cayman Activity Guide on Facebook
Profile Log in to check your private messages

Royal Palms Live Webcam
Temperature: 71.4°F / 21.9°C | Humidity: 73% | Pressure: 30.06in / 1018hPa (Steady) | Conditions: Partly Cloudy | Wind Direction: NNE | Wind Speed: 2.0mph / 3.2km/h | Water Temperature: 82 ° F
FAQFAQ TOSTOSSearchSearch View unanswered postsView unanswered posts  
Earn CAG Credits with Every Review - Reward Values $25 - $1,200

Grand Old House | PHOTOS | VIDEO 4.5 Star Rating

As a non-registered guest, you are only able to read a portion of our forums. For complete access to all forums and the lowest prices and greatest savings, please spend a few minutes and register.

Grand Old House | PHOTOS | VIDEO
Rated: 4.5 stars out of 5 (166 ratings)

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic      Cayman Activity Guide Forum Index -> Restaurants

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Joe StebbinsReply with quote
Founder/Administrator
Credits:
(71)

Founder/Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Grand Old House | PHOTOS | VIDEO

Grand Old House
Cayman's most sensational restaurant since 1908.
Offering intimate settings for couples and facilities for large groups and families, seating options include their famous wine room (pictured); gazebos which can seat up to 34 persons each; their esteemed English room; and of course their main dining room with its unparalleled charm and elegance. As virtually anyone who resides on the island will tell you: If you could have only one dinner in Cayman, make it Grand Old House.
Located ocean side on South Church St. in South Sound, minutes from George Town. Call for reservations: 949-9333

Celebrating over ONE HUNDRED years of history!

Sample intriguing Caribbean dishes including: Broiled Lobster Tail, Sauteed Jumbo Shrimps Provencale, Turtle Steak Cayman Style and superb wines.

Grand Old House has received the Wine Spectator annual Wine Selection Award for SEVENTEEN consecutive years.

A legend on the island, this Grand Dame of restaurants remains one of the Cayman Island's finest, featuring chef Mathai who has cooked for presidents, royalty and celebrities throughout the world.

Come and enjoy a panoramic seaside terrace, they provide the perfect blend of romance, cuisine and hospitality. Dine to the soothing sounds of live classical piano music Monday through Saturday from 6:30pm and during lunch on Fridays.

Offering intimate settings for couples and facilities for large groups and families, seating options include:

The Wine Room:

This room is the most recently renovated area of The Grand Old House and comfortably seats an intimate party of ten for dinner. A private entrance and the beautiful wooden wine cellar racks give this area a very special ambiance.

The English Room:

This is another secluded area for the perfect private dinner or function. The quaint English Room seats up to 20 people and also has a private entrance.

Main Dining Room:

Warm and cozy, the Main Dining Room is the heart of Grand Old House and will seat up to 45 guests for dinner. This room will comfortably house a cocktail reception for up to 90 people.

Grand Old House Porch:

The porch is a beautiful old-fashioned screened-in porch that offers perfect views of the seaside. Using the upper and lower porches, groups of up to 80 people are perfectly accommodated. If the adjoining gazebo is also used, an addtional 34 guests can dine.

The Wedding Gazebo:The gazebo is beautifully situated on the waterfront for the perfect seaside-wedding backdrop. For a reception and ceremony, the gazebo holds 40 guests. For a full dinner arrangement, 34 guests can be accommodated.

A legend on the island, this Grand Dame of restaurants remains one of the Cayman Island's finest restaurant and wedding venue, featuring chef Mathai, who has cooked for presidents and royalty in many countries.

The Water's Edge:

Your group of up to 160 guests can dine seaside at our Water's Edge. For cocktail receptions, up to 200 people can dance the night away. This is an unforgettable location with perfect sunset views.

Whether you are a romantic honeymoon couple or a group of hundreds, virtually anyone who resides on the island will tell you: If you have only one dinner in Cayman, let it be Grand Old House.

Located ocean side on South Church St. in South Sound, minutes from George Town.

Call for reservations: 1-345-949-9333 or

0 person likes this post.

Jeff AReply with quote
Frequent Flyer0
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Wedding

Not a bad choice for my wedding huh Joe?

CelineReply with quote
Ms. Popularity0
Ms. Popularity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject:

JeffA,

Lucky girl Jeff. Lucky guy, fiance of Jeff!

Celine wine

Founder/Administrator
Credits:
(71)

Founder/Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Wedding

Jeff A wrote:
Not a bad choice for my wedding huh Joe?

You will remember it for the rest of your lives, everything is so incredibly beautiful and you will have all the wonderful memories to cherish for the rest of your lives together. Very Happy

kchickReply with quote
Native0
Native

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject:

My son lives close by there. We enjoyed listening to the musioc at night. You will love it!

CelineReply with quote
Ms. Popularity0
Ms. Popularity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Just amazing! Very Happy

KenReply with quote
Newbie0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject:

This is our favorite restaurant. It's not the cheapest place, but you feel like you got your money's worth. It is NOT a Calypso where you feel like you should have gotten more for your money.

NorthSideSueReply with quote
Status Member0
Status Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject:

The Grand Old House is a delightful place for lunch, as well. The usually have some very reasonable specials.

pjlReply with quote
Frequent Flyer0
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject:

I am so glad The Grand Old House is open! I have two memories of that place.

I used to walk every day along Northward Road up to the prison and back to our house. One day this sweet dog followed me home. No matter how much I "shooed" her, she would not leave. We fed and watered her and she slept on our front stoop. We called the number on her tag numerous times with no answer, no machine. Finally we called the local vet. Come to find out she was Chef Tell's dog :o . He was off island and one of his employee's was keeping her. We felt famous Smile

I was overweight when we moved to Cayman (laugh, Celine. I know that wet suit feeling :-D) and I found Weight Watchers. I joined and then started working there. For one of our annual dinners, we were treated to Grand Old House. We had dinner on the gazebo (none of us got married) and it was absolutely wonderful! The food and atmosphere would make you want to get married if you weren't Wink .

I love this place Razz

CelineReply with quote
Ms. Popularity0
Ms. Popularity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:09 am    Post subject:

GREAT story pjl.................I won't even ASK why you went daily to the prison :-D

Celine

dogwalkerReply with quote
Banned0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject:

NorthSideSue wrote:
The Grand Old House is a delightful place for lunch, as well. The usually have some very reasonable specials.

In past years have enjoyed GOH for dinner. Just returned from GC and this year we went one day for lunch. TERRIFIC... as beautiful at lunch as dinner with a wonderful menu and accompanied by piano music. Conch fritters there are THE best...even if you don't generally care for conch fritters you will like the ones at GOH:)

mjjpfReply with quote
Frequent Flyer
Credits:
(1)

Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject:

Nice location for dinner.

That gives me the third place for dine during the week only need a couple more.

Does look like a good place to get married, no use to us, been married to the same saint going on 38 years now love . I say saint as she has put up with me Evil all these years.

MJ

And the band played on.

GSRDPMReply with quote
Frequent Flyer0
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject:

Wow. My wife and I celebrated our 10th anniversary on that deck. We remember watching the waves come in against the ironshore and wondered if a big one might soak us! It was a beautiful setting. We were there a early and we were one of only three tables being served on that huge deck. It was both very romantic and a little weird. (Why aren't there more people here?)

Founder/Administrator
Credits:
(71)

Founder/Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject:

GSRDPM wrote:
Why aren't there more people here?

I believe Grand Old House is the largest restaurant on the island. The Wharf is close, but I believe GOH is somewhat larger. They can have 200 people there and the place will still appear non-crowded. There are 3 dining rooms inside, 3 private gazebos, the main deck and three expansive docks. I dined there once while they were hosting a wedding reception with over 100 people and they seated us in a private gazebo which still felt very secluded. They do an extrordinary job of providing all their customers with an intimate dining experience no matter how many people they have. Wink

Jeff AReply with quote
Frequent Flyer0
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: GOH

I will be on island two (2) weeks from today...and married 18 days from today at the GOH.........WOW....tick tick tick

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Cayman Activity Guide Forum Index -> Restaurants
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Rate as     
4.5 Star Rating  based on 166 ratings.
Post a reply

Choose Display Order
User Permissions