Play     Stop

Memberlist Register  Follow Cayman Islands Activity Guide on Twitter  Cayman Activity Guide on My space Follow Cayman Activity Guide on Facebook
Profile Log in to check your private messages 

Royal Palms Live Webcam
Temperature: 87.4°F / 30.8°C | Humidity: 66% | Pressure: 30.06in / 1018hPa () | Conditions: Partly Cloudy | Wind Direction: SSE | Wind Speed: 1.0mph / 1.6km/h | Water Temperature: 81 ° F
FAQFAQ  TOSTOS  SearchSearch  View unanswered postsView unanswered posts  
Earn CAG Credits with Every Review - Reward Values $25 - $1,200

The NEW Pirate's Caves! 3.5 Star Rating

As a non-registered guest, you are only able to read a portion of our forums. For complete access to all forums and the lowest prices and greatest savings, please spend a few minutes and register.

The NEW Pirate's Caves!
Rated: 3.5 stars out of 5 (121 ratings)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic      Cayman Activity Guide Forum Index -> Land Based Tours and Attractions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Joe StebbinsReply with quote
Founder/Administrator
Credits:
(66)

Founder/Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: The NEW Pirate's Caves!

I'm posting this as a new attraction because if anyone went to Pirate's Caves today who has been there before, they would never imagine it was the same place.

Pirate's Caves in Bodden Town is well on its way to becoming one of the hottest land-based attractions on the island. For those of you who have been there before and dismissed it as a hokey pokey kiddy trap, you are right, it pretty much was. However, during the past few weeks alone it has undergone an enigmatical transformation into a combination nature park, petting zoo and marine park - combined with an expanding underground cave labyrinth.

They are only in phase II of a IV phase expansion, which is scheduled for completion in another several weeks. However, don't let that stop you. Phase II is still well worth the very low admission fee.

I'll merge some of the old cave photos into here for now, along with several new pictures I took today. When I get back from Miami it will be completely finished and I'll go back for more pictures and a video.

Their pet cockatoo lives right in the sand-floor gift shop and this bird really knows how to great you! He was shouting at Peggy and I when we first entered and he was so loud we could barely hear ourselves talk. Then Peggy went over and introduced herself to the bird and he instantly stopped shouting and started making some low cooing kind of sound, much like a cat purring. They became instant friends and it turns out he loves to be scratched under his wing and on the back of his neck. As soon as you start petting him he raises his wing so you can scratch there, just like a dog rolling over to let you rub his tummy. It was funny and heart warming at the same time.

0 person likes this post.

JanetReply with quote
Temporary Resident0
Temporary Resident

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject:

I anxiously wait!

Janet palm heart

with the intention of arriving safely

in an attractive & well preserved body.

But rather to skid in sideways,

Champagne in one hand ~ strawberries in the other,

body thoroughly used up, totally worn out & screaming ........

'WOO HOO - What a Ride! ~

Founder/Administrator
Credits:
(66)

Founder/Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject:

The whole front entrance will eventually resemble a cave-like structure, adorned with exotic mural works by a renown Canadian artist. Her work demonstrates a fascinating attention to detail and will be represented throughout the entire park. Somewhat of a cross between Claude Monet and Robert Wyland, the beauty of her work is the quintessential accentuation to the naturalist thyme of the park.

Even the bathroom is a work of art.

There are several different kinds of birds in the gift shop, including these Cayman Parakeets.

CelineReply with quote
Ms. Popularity0
Ms. Popularity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject:

okay........something ELSE we can do, when we're not wet! Parrot The Reef Resort has a resident cockatoo in the lobby, Castro, who does the same.........LOVES to be rubbed on the back of his head, and will come down off the top of his driftwood to say hi and be petted.........too cute! In the evening, he rides on the handlebars of one of the mgrs at the Reef, along the units.

Celine

Founder/Administrator
Credits:
(66)

Founder/Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject:

They have an authentic old Cayman style house, over 100 years old.

You can go inside and see the detail. They are adding more artifacts and getting rid of the posters on the wall in the next couple of weeks.

There are exotic birds everywhere and they are bringing in more every day. Many of the birds and other wildlife are bread in safe captivity and then released into the wild once they reach maturity.

These are some kind of rare Asian silky chickens, guarding their eggs. All of the plants and animals are labeled and you can request a guided tour, which I recommend. There are so many things to see we would have missed a lot, if not for having someone to show us what to look for.

I forgot what this is but it's not just a common pigeon. Most of their birds are very rare and they do not keep the local pigeons in cages. I think this might be some type of owl.

A goose with a turtle in the background.

Here's another one I can't identify. I guess you can tell I am no bird expert. Fortunately, everything there is labeled. I do remember that this one made some very interesting sounds. When I shoot the video I'll try to include some of the natural sounds from these rare and unusual birds.

Another exotic bird I can't remember. I do know that the one in front is the male and he was very curious, while the female was shy and reclusive.

And here's another shot of our friendly local rooster, crowing up a storm.

There are lots of white doves flying around.

metalkwituReply with quote
Temporary Resident0
Temporary Resident

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Great pictures, Joe. Never been a big chicken fan, but those white, silky ones are downright pretty! Are you sure they aren't a cross between a chicken Samoyed (sp?) dog? Wink What fantastic colors in those birds.......love 'em! Your pictures always look as though I can just reach out and touch them. Parrot You have such a talent!

Thanks, Karen2

Founder/Administrator
Credits:
(66)

Founder/Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Thanks metalkwitu - I had a Samoyed dog when I was very young. He was just about the most friendly dog I ever met and I miss him to this day.

One of two Iguana habitats, this big fella is scheduled to be released in a couple of weeks. They take them to a remote area in East End, away from any traffic or people and set them free.

There are colorful flowers blooming everywhere and even more were being planted during our visit.

This baby goat grew quite a bit since I was last there about a month ago.

They made the goat habitat much larger and now they have a lot of room to run around. There are three goats - Mother, Father, Baby. Just before I took this shot, Baby jumped clear across from one side to the other. It would have made an incredible shot to have a flying goat! Of course, I was changing lenses at the time. I could have spent a lot more time here but I didn't want to hold up the owner, who was showing us around. Next time I'll try to get a flying goat shot and maybe even Mother and Father doing a little head rubbing thing they do. Very Happy

bfa5yReply with quote
Newbie0

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: great photos

great photos joe. sounds like a fun place to visit. how much time should one allow there? is it in a location that you can pair it up with another activity or a meal close by?

"live long and prosper"

Founder/Administrator
Credits:
(66)

Founder/Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Thanks bfa5y - It's definitely something you want to include as part of a trip to East End or Northside. I could easily spend a few hours there but I like to take a lot of pictures. I still have a few more shots to post and I haven't even gotten to the caves yet. Very Happy

I think you would benifit from reading our Go East topic

CelineReply with quote
Ms. Popularity0
Ms. Popularity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject:

BEAUTIFUL shots........you have us seriously spoiled at this point! clap

I have some concerns now though about when and if I'll have any time to actually go IN the water........Pirates Caves, Sunset Cruise, two BFM dinner/shows, Turtle Farm, shoppingofcourse, eating as much as possible in about 10 of our most favorite restaurants, Butterfly Farm, Botanical Gardens, Pampered Ponies...hopefully I can at least get my feet wet there.........OH, I FORGOT.......that new dive experience!!!!!!!!!!!whew....looks like I will get wet! Divegirl

Celine

Founder/Administrator
Credits:
(66)

Founder/Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject:

There are fresh water turtles that inhabit many of the natural underground springs.

They have dozens of fresh water spotted stingrays living in a large tank, adorned with beautiful murals. The murals were not finished yet so I didn't shoot it. I'll take more pictures of this once they finish the murals and add the rest of the fish.

These little guys average 5-6 inches in size and are a blast to watch. They dart around back and forth across the sand, interacting with one another. I had the waterfall turned off for a few minutes so I could get a better picture of this unusual creature - usually the water is filled with ripples.

Well manicured trails meander through acres of this natural wilderness. Along the way you will encounter everything pictured in this topic as well as a wide and diverse assortment of plants, flowers and trees. Everything is labeled so you are able to easily identify all the fascinating things you see along the way.

There are several shaded seating areas where you can stop and take a break, have a cool drink, change lenses or just sit back and absorb nature's beauty.

Founder/Administrator
Credits:
(66)

Founder/Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Here's another interesting character you'll encounter along the way, who just can't seem to get enough attention. As soon as you get within a few yards he'll start honking for you to come over and pet him. He loves being scratched behind the ears. Very Happy

Founder/Administrator
Credits:
(66)

Founder/Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Here's some more pictures from the old topic.

Their gift store has a large selection of pirate paraphernalia, island crafts and cold sodas. I love the sand floor!

They have a big friendly talking parrot in the gift shop.

An authentic hand carved wooden boat.

Some geese near an underground spring.

A goat family.

This is where that rooster picture belongs.

Nature trails with a variety of endemic plants and flowers.

And finally, the caves.

Beautiful rock formations comprised of myriad elements, including Caymanite.

Of course the gold in the foreground is not real but it makes for a fun prop to help spark your imagination as you drift back in time to when the actual pirates were right there in the caves, hiding their treasures. There will soon be an area where you will be able to dig for gold coins!

There are lots of niches filled with replicas of what might have been left behind by the pirates.

They are undergoing major expansion into areas deep underground. Besides being a fascinating kiddy attraction, soon serious cave explorers will be able to venture deep into the caves, into areas which have never before been seen.

I will repeat this. Pirate's Caves is nothing at all like what it was in the past, even a mere few weeks ago. It has undergone a massive metamorphosis and is now one if the island's top attractions, particularly for nature enthusiasts. For the price of a beer you can explore this expansive and diverse nature park and immense yourself in nature's beauty.

By combining a nature park, petting zoo, botanic park and aquatic park with the adventure of cave exploration, they have created a diverse attraction, which will appeal to everyone.

They are continuing to grow and expand, as they add new features and more animals. Soon you will be able to dig for gold coins, stamp them yourself and keep them as a souvenir. There will be more waterfalls, deeper tunnels in the caves, complete restaurant facilities and much more.

Pirate's Caves is now a wonderful addition to our East End attractions, which provides everyone with even greater incentive to explore the more quiet and pristine areas of Grand Cayman.

CelineReply with quote
Ms. Popularity0
Ms. Popularity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject:

It looks absolutely wonderful Joe......thanks for your encouraging them to eliminate the hokey stuff.

Celine

divnpaulReply with quote
Moderator0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject:

That place looks great! Maybe we'll rent a car and take a ride over.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Cayman Activity Guide Forum Index -> Land Based Tours and Attractions
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Rate as     
3.5 Star Rating  based on 121 ratings.
Post a reply

Choose Display Order
User Permissions