Play Stop
Memberlist Register Follow Cayman Islands Activity Guide on Twitter  Cayman Activity Guide on My space Follow Cayman Activity Guide on Facebook
Profile Log in to check your private messages

Royal Palms Live Webcam
Temperature: 71.4°F / 21.9°C | Humidity: 73% | Pressure: 30.06in / 1018hPa (Steady) | Conditions: Partly Cloudy | Wind Direction: NNE | Wind Speed: 2.0mph / 3.2km/h | Water Temperature: 83 ° F
FAQFAQ TOSTOSSearchSearch View unanswered postsView unanswered posts  
Earn CAG Credits with Every Review - Reward Values $25 - $1,200

Hemingway's at Grand Cayman Beach Suites | Reviews | PHOTOS 3.5 Star Rating

As a non-registered guest, you are only able to read a portion of our forums. For complete access to all forums and the lowest prices and greatest savings, please spend a few minutes and register.

Hemingway's at Grand Cayman Beach Suites | Reviews | PHOTOS
Rated: 3.5 stars out of 5 (436 ratings)

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic      Cayman Activity Guide Forum Index -> Restaurants

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Joe StebbinsReply with quote
Founder/Administrator
Credits:
(71)

Founder/Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Hemingway's at Grand Cayman Beach Suites | Reviews | PHOTOS

Hemingway's is located at Grand Cayman Beach Suites.

NOTE: All information below dated 2005-2006 for archival purposes only.

Executive Chef Vidyadhara Shetty introduces himself and describes the events which are about to unfold. You can expect to be greeted by a fun and highly skilled server who will perform a similar presentation.

The food begins to appear. Note of the dainty feminine delicate texture and aroma of the Lobster Corn Lollipops in
stark contrast to the more masculine and rugged flavors and apperance of the Baby Back Ribs.

Former Hyatt Hotel Manager, Diego Concha was our gracious host for the evening. His attention to detail is evident as he settles for nothing less than perfection. He went to great lengths to insure a consummate balance between the presentation made by his staff and the satisfaction of his guests. The new GM and restaurant managers at Grand Cayman Beach Suites are equally creative and you will be given the same treatment by whoever attends your table.

Diego's electrifying personality can be seen shining brightly through the eyes of all in his employ.

More delicious food, presented in precise order to perfectly suit the mood of the guests as the evening unfolds. Your food server will be more than happy to take you along a similar journey, which will yield a different experience for everyone, depending on their individual personas.

I don't want to give the whole thing away but those are not french fries.

Another appearance by Hyatt Executive Chef 'Shetty', who is the President of the Cayman Islands Culinary Society.

More delicious food, timed perfectly to add to the enchantment of the evening; the balance and striking contrast becoming more apparent and enticing.

Again, the subtle contrast of delicate dishes like Octopus and Oysters served alongside more rugged selections such as whole Prawns and Soft Shell Crab.

Before dessert is served we are treated to an appearance by the head bartender who announces a special new drink concoction, designed to accentuate the dessert presentation.

Dessert must not be tasted until the taste buds are cleansed with the Rumba, a unique and exotic cocktail designed to arouse the senses and elevate the consciousness.

And finally. the piece de resistance. An incomparable caramel infused cake with home made ice cream.

The people responsible for the evening of a lifetime.

There is a $125 US ($100 CI) surcharge for Hemingway’s very special private sand seating. They only set up one table on the sand per night so I highly recommend reserving this sensational culinary adventure at least two weeks ahead of time.

Reserve by phone or email:

Be sure to book direct and mention that you are an Activity Guide member.

Phone: 345-949-1234
Email:

0 person likes this post.

CaymantwinsReply with quote
Native0
Native
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes...would settle for an ocean instead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject:

Sounds like a very romantic evening! The food looks amazing and how they present it sounds like a unique experience. Thank you for the review and photos. We may have to check it out for our "date night" anniversary dinner in March!

Kim

LIVE each day the the fullest... LAUGH until your sides hurt... LOVE like you've never loved before...

cindylouReply with quote
Native0
Native

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Joe - what a fantastic review and it looks absolutely yummy, now you have made my decision as to where to take hubby for Valentines day super hard......sigh, decisions decisions decisions!

Cindy Lou

CelineReply with quote
Ms. Popularity0
Ms. Popularity

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject:

okay...........this SERIOUSLY threatens the "Miss Popularity" title..........but I don't like any of you people right now :-D :-D :-D it, of course, has nothing to do with the fact that I am here in this cold, ugly city with cold, ugly leftover frozen pork roast to thaw for dinner. Bash ........and you are eating food that looks like a work of art.....both in presentation, and I'm certain TASTE........nor does it have ANYTHING to do with the fact, that the same ugly leftover frozen pork thawing in the refrigerator, will go STRAIGHT to my hips and thighs and all the women in the photo appear to be a size nothing :o !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though........I LOVE tapas and I've never seen it presented as beautifully! My gosh.......and YOUR writing Joe :o If you don't do that coffee table book WITH your artistic writing......you should be Bash

This restaurant is a definite MUST DO! Will take all of our friends there when we come down in late June........please NOBOBY wear out the chef!

Celine Wink

cindylouReply with quote
Native0
Native

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Celine wrote:

This restaurant is a definite MUST DO! Will take all of our friends there when we come down in late June........please NOBOBY wear out the chef!

Celine Wink

Uhm, hi friend Celine Very Happy My birthday is in June Very Happy Uhm just thought a friend would like to know that Very Happy :-D Wink

Cindy Lou

ManiacReply with quote
Temporary Resident0
Temporary Resident

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject:

OK - now I want to eat here too!!! I may have to do some cutting on my restaurant list!! Crying or Very sad

I agree with Celine - you have a talent for writing as well as photography. Thank you for sharing with us. wine

Becka

CelineReply with quote
Ms. Popularity0
Ms. Popularity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject:

Cindy......when? We'll be down there June 24th and leave on July 1.......at least, unless we can get an extra night or two at the Reef, or somewhere else to take advantage of the reduced airfare.........good grief!!!!!!!!!! I was online all weekend and unless I want to ARRIVE on Saturday EVENING (NO!) then it's $853 PERSON.........that's bloody NUTS!

whew, sorry........had to get that out of my system.......anyway....would love to meet up with you and your hubby and OF COURSE Joe and Peggy....that's a given, when we come down, so let me know that birthday.......sounds like a tapas day to me!

Celine Very Happy

gjmReply with quote
Temporary Resident0
Temporary Resident

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: tapas

Joe:

sounds very nice. was this a special event not to be repeated, a menu/venue offered only on certain nights/times or to be part of the daily Hemingways offerings?

were there wine/food pairings? what is the cost? are reservations required and if so how far in advance?

gjm

Founder/Administrator
Credits:
(71)

Founder/Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject:

gjm - Hemingway's will be offering the special experience I described starting this week. It will be available to everyone and if you tell them you are an Activity Guide member and request a special table on the beach, they will probably set one up for you. Wink

I would make an enormous effort to do this at least one time during your vacation at any cost. However, the prices are surprisingly low - that's what Hemingway's is known for: The island's most affordable 5-star restaurant. You could order at least 4-5 dishes each and split a nice bottle of wine and your tab would be under $100, including gratuity.

dogwalkerReply with quote
Banned0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject:

How fabulous, another "must" to add to our already long list of "musts"when we return for our annual March vacation!

Now, a question. When we were there in October, the Hyatt had suspended their Sunday Brunch. Is that still on hiatus or have they started up again? We love the Westin Sunday Brunch, but were/are hoping to try the Hyatt's.

Founder/Administrator
Credits:
(71)

Founder/Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject:

dogwalker - The Hyatt Sunday brunch is still suspended and will probably remain that way until the main part of the resort opens. No one knows for sure when that might be but we are all hoping it might happen this year.

cindylouReply with quote
Native0
Native

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Celine - maybe we could do this with you and yours and Joe and Peggy when you guys come down Very Happy (this keeps one and all away from the dance floor less Joe bring out the video cam :o ). My birthday is actually the 15th but hey I'm happy to have a birthday month RedRolling RedRolling RedRolling We are so definitely getting together with you guys when you come down just so Joe can photograph the two of us standing side by side :-D :-D but after reading Joe's review (someone tell me again why he isn't doing that coffee table book with prose like that and photos like that??????) I am so needing to take a graze through this place for a bit of a feed up!

Cindy Lou

jpepReply with quote
Credits:
(1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject:

Joe,

Thanks for the great review and photos. Sounds like you had an amazing time. Hemmingways is indeed a wonderful restaurant, whose food, service and ambience is superb. I concur that dining at Hemmingways is an epicurean delight and definitely a 'must do'. Look forward to returning on our next trip, whenever that may be.

In the 11th photo (from the top), where Chef Shetty is standing behind 3 seated women, Leanne, the Hyatt Food & Beverege Manager is the 1st on the right. She was very gracious when we were there . She readily conveyed a passion for her work to ensure guests' needs were not just met, but their expectations surpassed. She is indeed a credit to the Hyatt.

In the 16th photo, the head bartender is Martin, who is a consumate gentleman and professional , but also a lot of fun. When we were at the Hyatt SMB bar, or in Hemmingways, Martin was always ready with a sunny smile and cold cocktail, even when the weather was less than perfect, which unfortunately was most of the time we there. Nevertheless, we had such a great time talking and laughing with Martin, that the less than perfect weather did not dampen our spirits or negatively impact our trip.

We felt we had made friends with some of the Hyatt staff, and particularly Martin. In fact, before we left, I gave Martin my card and sugested we get together during his planned trip to NYC in 12/05. Suffice it to say, we were pleased when Martin called and we were able to get together for several hours after work one evening for cocktails. We had such a great time, and got a kick out of the fact that we were able to give him some tips on sightseeing/restaurants and overall enjoying the NYC experience, particularly given his invaluable assistance when we were in GC. We continue to keep in touch with him.

BTW, what was in the Roomba?

Edited By : jpep Mon, 30 Jan 2006 09:45:31 -0500

Founder/Administrator
Credits:
(71)

Founder/Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject:

jpep - Thanks, I forgot Martin's name. By the time he introduced himself I had consumed more wine than I am used to drinking. Embarassed

He swore us all to secrecy about the ingredients of the Rumba. You will have to go there and taste it for yourself. Very Happy

CelineReply with quote
Ms. Popularity0
Ms. Popularity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject:

Quote:
go there and taste it for yourself
:o oh ALRIGHT! workworkwork :-D

I can't BELIEVE the inexpensiveness of the tapas WITH wine!!!!!!!!! Cindy....YES........we definitely want to do THAT!

We are coming with friends this year, and their adult child and her fiance, but know they are going to want an evening or more to themselves, so that sounds like the perfect night..........it CANNOT, of course Rolling Eyes , be on a Tuesday or a Thursday night.....and I think we all know why band

Celine Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Cayman Activity Guide Forum Index -> Restaurants
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Rate as     
3.5 Star Rating  based on 436 ratings.
Post a reply

Choose Display Order
User Permissions