Play Stop
Memberlist Register Follow Cayman Islands Activity Guide on Twitter  Cayman Activity Guide on My space Follow Cayman Activity Guide on Facebook
Profile Log in to check your private messages

Royal Palms Live Webcam
Temperature: 71.4°F / 21.9°C | Humidity: 73% | Pressure: 30.06in / 1018hPa (Steady) | Conditions: Partly Cloudy | Wind Direction: NNE | Wind Speed: 2.0mph / 3.2km/h | Water Temperature: 82 ° F
FAQFAQ TOSTOSSearchSearch View unanswered postsView unanswered posts  
Earn CAG Credits with Every Review - Reward Values $25 - $1,200

Atlantis Seaworld Explorer | VIDEO | REVIEWS 4.5 Star Rating

As a non-registered guest, you are only able to read a portion of our forums. For complete access to all forums and the lowest prices and greatest savings, please spend a few minutes and register.

Atlantis Seaworld Explorer | VIDEO | REVIEWS
Rated: 4.5 stars out of 5 (178 ratings)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic      Cayman Activity Guide Forum Index -> Water Sports - Miscellaneous

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Joe StebbinsReply with quote
Founder/Administrator
Credits:
(71)

Founder/Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Atlantis Seaworld Explorer | VIDEO | REVIEWS

Atlantis Seaworld Explorer

Explore spectacular coral reefs and shipwrecks on the Seaworld Explorer, a state-of-the-art semi-submarine. You will visit a dramatic shipwreck, the Cali as well as famous Cheeseburger Reef where a diver will feed the many varieties of fish right in front of your window!

The New Seaworld Explorer is a state-of-the-art semi-submarine developed for comfort and maximum viewing of the shallow reef's. The vessel does not submerge; you simply descend into the hull of this cruising underwater observatory and sit in air-conditioned comfort five feet below the surface of the water. As you explore you will view an abundance of marine life through large, clear windows.

Seaworld Explorer departs from the Atlantis Adventure Center located on the waterfront in George Town across from the Hard Rock Cafe. The first site you visit is a dramatic shipwreck, the Cali, a steel schooner built in 1900. This ship ran aground 100 yards off the coast of Grand Cayman in 1944. From here, your captain takes you to Cheeseburger Reef. Be sure to have your cameras ready when our diver enters the water and begins to feed the hundreds of multi-colored tropical fish right in front of your window.

A knowledgeable marine expert will provide answers to your questions and informational narration on the amazing underwater world around you. Hear more tales of the high seas as the Seaworld Explorer takes you to see the wreck of the Balboa. The Balboa is a 375 foot freighter traveling from Cayman to Cuba when she encountered one of the worst hurricanes in the island?s history on November 10, 1932. The ship was literally broken into pieces as she was bounced along the ocean floor by huge waves. Much of her cargo of wood was used to reconstruct the buildings you see in George Town today.

Fast Facts:

Prices:

Adult: (13 yrs & older) $ 32.00 ea.

Child: (30" to 12 yrs) $ 16.00 ea.

SCHEDULE:

This tour operates daily with excursions in the morning and afternoon.

TOUR DURATION:

1 hour

ITINERARY:

0:00 Depart Dock at the Atlantis Adventure Center

0:05 Arrive at Wreck of Callie

0:20 Arrive at Cheeseburger Reef

0:25 Diver goes into water

0:40 Diver comes out of water

0:45 Arrive at Wreck of Balboa

1:00 Return to Dock

Please note that the order of this tour and prices may vary and are subject to change without notice.

TOUR RESTRICTIONS:

Wheelchair guests may participate if they can stand and are able to safely navigate 10 steps into and out of the semi-submarine

TIP:idea

You do not need to reserve this in advance unless you are coming on a cruise.

Always mention Activity Guide and book direct for the best rates.

Cruise passengers can call in their reservation at: 1-345-949-7700 and ask for any current Activity Guide discounts.

CONTACT INFORMATION:

Phone:
1-800-887-8571
1-345-949-7700

1 person likes this post.

MGiloweyReply with quote
Newbie0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject:

What a great video. You sold me!

One question.... It says you don't need to book this in advance unless you are coming on a cruise. I am coming on a cruise, so how do I book it in advance and use the coupon?

0 person likes this post.

Founder/Administrator
Credits:
(71)

Founder/Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Hi MGilowey - Welcome to the forum and thank you for your nice comments. Very Happy

You can call them using the number on the coupon and putting a 1-345 in front of it. Tell them you will be bringing the Activity Guide coupon with you and they will give you the discount. Be sure to print out the coupon and bring it. Wink

I will make this more clear in my original post. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

ajtuxReply with quote
Native0
Native

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Joe, When the guide is talking on the Video there is an awful lot of noise, is that really how loud it is on that tour or is it just video noise?

Alan

Edited By : ajtux Mon, 14 Nov 2005 17:34:20 -0500

Founder/Administrator
Credits:
(71)

Founder/Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject:

ajtux - It's really quiet and peaceful. It was a little windy that day and I don't have an external mic yet. I guess I better pick one of those up while I am here in Miami. Underwater it's completely silent except for your communication with the guide. If you don't want to hear what he's saying you can turn him off. Very Happy

ajtuxReply with quote
Native0
Native

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Joe, You're answering me from Miami, Wow. I think I'll have to win the MegaMillions jackpot tomorrow and send you somewhere that has no internet or telephone so you can take some real time just for you. But, that said, if Florida is one of the states that has the Mega Millions game, buy one ticket so you can share it with jpep, Celine and me. That's our plan, we'd love to have you as a fellow dreamer :-D

Thanks again for today's answer and everything else you do to make this the best bb I've ever seen.

Alan

Edited By : ajtux Mon, 14 Nov 2005 17:52:00 -0500

Founder/Administrator
Credits:
(71)

Founder/Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject:

ajtux - I may really need a vacation!. I answered you so fast I thought this was the Bubble Sub topic. Embarassed

The semi-submersible is not silent. You can hear the motor and propeller and other people talking. It's not ear-piercing or anything, but there is quite a bit of ambient noise. Their 100' sub is much quieter. Wink

haltomReply with quote
Temporary Resident0
Temporary Resident

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject:

We are traveling in April with 6 adults (1 non-swimmer) a three year old and a nearly two year old. I was contemplating doing a glass bottom boat to Stingray City so that they could see some of the ocean life along the way. However, after reading all the posts it looks like this might be a better option for us. Could anyone confirm that?

Thanks!

scubacharReply with quote
Native0
Native

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject:

Welcome to the forum haltom Smile ,

I would definitely recommend this over a glass bottom boat to Sting Ray City! In fact, I would actually recommend taking the submersible Atlantis submarine for a really spectacular view of the underwater world. I've taken that a few times and have enjoyed it very much!

Bear in mind, that you do not need to know how to swim in order to enjoy the Stingrays.......they are on a shallow sandbar where people are able to stand.

Char

haltomReply with quote
Temporary Resident0
Temporary Resident

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the welcome! My husband and I have done the sub and the sub at night. I love it. However it looks like the only tour the kids could go on is the semi-sub. The rest of our crew may choose the sub over this trip. I just want the kids to be able to have a great view under the water. They really like the idea of ocean animals, and I know they will love to be able to see them. In fact my three year old thinks we sent our passport photos to the turtles to ask them if we could come visit. It was the only way to get through the application and pictures. 'Smile' If only we could plan on seeing a turtle, it would be the perfect adventure!

Edited By : haltom Mon, 29 Jan 2007 22:31:48 -0500

haltomReply with quote
Temporary Resident0
Temporary Resident

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject:

I just wanted to let everyone know what a great experience we had on this ride. We went down and booked a trip. We used our 10% off coupon, which was great. We were all ready to go when the manager pulled us aside. They overbooked with cruise ship passengers, and offered us to go later on for 50% off what we paid! So now we were at 65% off Exclamation Again, this was a lucky break. I can't promise it to everyone. Razz We got back on the sub, and the transmission died. We had to be pushed back in to shore. We rebooked for the next day. One of our party decided not to go, and they refunded his ticket for us. They were very accomodating.

My father-in-law who does not swim absolutely loved this trip. He is also a bit claustrophobic, so he did not want to do the full sub. Plus the kids weren't old enough to go on the full submarine. They also loved it. My three year old was the first on the ship to see one of the stingrays on the ocean floor. The trip was great for our whole party.

One other word of advice - I would avoid this on a heavy cruise ship day. It was very full on our first trip out. It was much better the second day.

Allison

zenmeisterReply with quote
Newbie0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Atlantis Sub CO. is "MIA"---Any Ideas??

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I were hoping to go on the Atlantis semi-submarine ride, but I have been unable to reach them by both their 1-800 number AND their email addy. Seems kind of fishy to me. fish(Ooops, bad pun!) bfish

Their tours say "morning" and "afternoon" so I wanted to get more specific as to what time in the "afternoon" the tour was so we could plan the rest of our day. I emailed them two days ago, so I understand they could perhaps be a little behind in answering them, but I don't understand why their 1-800 number wouldn't be working, especially when I've tried calling for four days in a row!

We'd really like to take the tour, but it makes me very weary about signing up and giving them our credit card info. Rolling Eyes Has this happened to anyone else in the past?

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions! clap

Warm regards,

Erika

kptoysReply with quote
Temporary Resident0
Temporary Resident

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject:

I sent them an Email on Saturday and received a response 1st thing Monday morning.

I did however email 3 other companies and have no response from any of them. IMO Atlantis rocks Wink

haltomReply with quote
Temporary Resident0
Temporary Resident

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject:

We've always just booked in person after we arrived. I believe they have several times throughout the morning and afternoon.

scubacharReply with quote
Native0
Native

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Their website says that the tours leave about every 50 minutes throughout the morning and afternoon, Monday through Saturday.

It also says to plan for an hour and a half for the duration of the tour (45 minutes under the water).

Have fun! I've taken this a couple of times and I think it's wonderful!

Char

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Cayman Activity Guide Forum Index -> Water Sports - Miscellaneous
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Rate as     
4.5 Star Rating  based on 178 ratings.
Post a reply

Choose Display Order
User Permissions