Play     Stop

Memberlist Register  Follow Cayman Islands Activity Guide on Twitter  Cayman Activity Guide on My space Follow Cayman Activity Guide on Facebook
Profile Log in to check your private messages 

Royal Palms Live Webcam
Temperature: 79.4°F / 26.3°C | Humidity: 81% | Pressure: 29.89in / 1012hPa (Steady) | Conditions: Partly Cloudy | Wind Direction: NE | Wind Speed: 3.0mph / 4.8km/h | Water Temperature: 86 ° F
 Local News:  CUC cut-off policy catches out injured customer    Lifestyle disease focus of local health conference    Brac women face indirect discrimination    Panton signs latest global information exchange deal    Ebola protocols no inconvenience, Tourism Minister says    Following liquor license dispute, Elements nightclub closes    Local group helps to remove stigma of mental illness    Environmental Health reminds residents on trash collection rules    
FAQFAQ  TOSTOS  SearchSearch  View unanswered postsView unanswered posts  
Earn CAG Credits with Every Review - Reward Values $25 - $1,200

Snorkel Vest Rental

As a non-registered guest, you are only able to read a portion of our forums. For complete access to all forums and the lowest prices and greatest savings, please spend a few minutes and register.

Post new topic   Reply to topic      Cayman Activity Guide Forum Index -> Snorkeling

View previous topic :: View next topic  

DanS1Reply with quote
Newbie0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Snorkel Vest Rental

We have masks, snorkels and fins, but we may want to rent snorkel vests for some off shore snorkeling in deeper water (wife is nervous). Are there places where we can rent just the vests? Do they have rentals for more than 1 day?

0 person likes this post.

MadtownTimReply with quote
Temporary Resident0
Temporary Resident

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject:

DanS1 - From what I've read, the price may be right to buy them rather than trust a rental. I'm sure they're all tested and everything, but I personally wouldn't trust a rental inflatable vest. Again, it may just be me.

Plus, if you're looking at cost effectiveness, at the price that I've seen them stateside, you may save some money buying them outright, even if they never see the mainland after your trip.

DanS1Reply with quote
Newbie0

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject:

Thanks, so far I have only seen vests in dive shops for about $50. I see them for $30 online, but I am leaving Thursday morning, so I don't have time to order them. Do any big stores, WalMart, Costco, BJs, etc. carry them, or do you have any other ideas?

shellyReply with quote
Native
Credits:
(6)

Native

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject:

What about a place like Sportmart? Don't know if they would still have them in your area at this time of year though.

Shelly :-)

Next Vacation : 39 Days ( Grand Cayman )    Start : Dec/09/2014     End : Jan/08/2015

scubacharReply with quote
Native0
Native

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject:

I think it's very possible that any of the dive shops would be happy to rent a snorkel vest for multiple days, allowing you to keep it rather than return it each day. I'm pretty sure that Sundivers up at the Turtle Reef at the Cracked Conch would do that......tell them that Char (Charlene to them) said they would Wink Here's our information on that dive/snorkel site

One reason that I would recommend renting one rather than buying, is that as people feel more comfortable in the water, they often don't feel that they need the vest anymore. In fact, many find it annoying......it would be a shame to buy one and then only use it once or twice. Not saying that it's not a good thing to use or that anything is wrong with using one......it's just very common for people to think that they need one, only to find out that they're just fine without it.

Char

kneesReply with quote
Native
Credits:
(3)

Native

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Do you have a shop that sells dive and snorkel equipment close to you? That's where we bought ours......I would much rather have my own due to the fact you are blowing air into them....I'm a real germ freak about that kind of stuff......never know if it's cleaned properly.

DanS1Reply with quote
Newbie0

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Post deleted. Member given time out to read our TOS.

- Joe

Edited By : Joe Stebbins Thursday, 20 November 2008 12:01:18 AM.
DanS1Reply with quote
Newbie0

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject:

We went without snorkel vests, and we were fine. I feared that my wife wouldn't want to swim out very far to a reef, but we went in at Cemetary Beach, and she quickly saw how easy it is to float in the salt water, and there was no real current or waves to deal with. We stayed in the water for a long time and never got tired, and we are old folks. You can lay motionless and watch the fish for as long as you like. We did have fins, which I highly recommend.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Cayman Activity Guide Forum Index -> Snorkeling
Page 1 of 1

Rate as     
__  based on no votes ratings.
Post a reply

Choose Display Order
User Permissions