Play     Stop

Memberlist Register  Follow Cayman Islands Activity Guide on Twitter  Cayman Activity Guide on My space Follow Cayman Activity Guide on Facebook
Profile Log in to check your private messages 

Royal Palms Live Webcam
Temperature: 79.4°F / 26.3°C | Humidity: 75% | Pressure: 29.95in / 1014hPa (Rising) | Conditions: Partly Cloudy | Wind Direction: NNW | Wind Speed: 3.0mph / 4.8km/h | Water Temperature: 84 ° F
 Local News:  Focus groups providing insight for minimum wage    CUC cut-off policy catches out injured customer    Lifestyle disease focus of local health conference    Commission recommends 34 constitution amendments    Men with machetes rob Tortuga Rum Co. employee    Some Evans family members still looking for homes    Cayman signs tax information pact    Five finalists for Young Caymanian Leadership Award    Three new chikungunya cases    Mother expects twins, delivers triplets    
FAQFAQ  TOSTOS  SearchSearch  View unanswered postsView unanswered posts  
Earn CAG Credits with Every Review - Reward Values $25 - $1,200

Private Message (PM) Limitations

As a non-registered guest, you are only able to read a portion of our forums. For complete access to all forums and the lowest prices and greatest savings, please spend a few minutes and register.

Post new topic   Reply to topic      Cayman Activity Guide Forum Index -> Activity Guide Announcements and Suggestions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Joe StebbinsReply with quote
Founder/Administrator
Credits:
(41)

Founder/Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Private Message (PM) Limitations

Private Message (PM) Limitations

Due to the high volume of PM traffic during the past few weeks and the large number containing spam and other contact information, including sites that compete with ours, email addresses and endorsements for non-recommended establishments, I have made some modifications to our PM system.

The post count required to send PMs to members other than myself or Moderators has been increased well beyond ten, which was the number that had been previously established. However, with good cause a Mod or I may elect to manually enable a member?s PM privileges prior to reaching any specific post count. I hope that this will provide additional incentive for new members to post in our public forums while reserving private messages for our most frequent posters, who make the greatest contributions to our forums. This not only conserves system resources and encourages the dissemination of public information but it also encourages members to research the information they are seeking in our forums, gaining other insightful information and knowledge along the way.

Regardless of post count, links of any kind - including email addresses will be automatically removed from member PMs. PM and possibly other privileges will be automatically terminated upon attempting any method of trying to circumvent or deceive our system by suggesting search engine keywords, using spaces or spelling out web sites: i.e. w w w dot email/w e b DOT c o m.

PMs containing solicitations for any sites or establishments that compete with Activity Guide or any of our sponsors will be automatically deleted and privileges will be suspended.

We now have a fairly sophisticated PM filtering and monitoring system in place, which will identify PM abuse and automatically delete the message and disable a member?s PM privileges when a violation occurs. Depending on the severity of the violation, other privileges may also be suspended or revoked. If anyone has lost PM or other privileges during the past few days while we have been improving the system and you feel that it may have been in error, please PM me and I will manually query your PM database records. The system is not perfect but it is designed to give our members the greatest benefit of any possible uncertainty. It would not be prudent for me to disclose the exact details of our filtering and censoring algorithms because it is now painfully clear to me that there will always be some people who will endeavor to circumvent the rules. By simply abiding by our clearly defined rules with respect to PMs as defined in our TOS, you will run no risk whatsoever of any interruption of privileges.

I understand that our TOS can appear arduous in length and time-consuming to read so I put together a very simple list of things not to send in private messages:

? Email addresses

? Web sites

? Names of establishments that compete with the places we recommend. If you have to ask, it?s probably not something you can send.

? Any attempt at ?tricking? our system with things like spaces, d o t s, etc.

? Suggesting to ?Google? keywords that pertain to information already available on our message board or web site. With scarce exception, there is almost no relevant visitor information about the Cayman Islands that does not already exist on our web site and forums.

It?s worth mentioning that every one of these rules has been in place since day one and they are all well defined in our TOS. I want to make it clear that I have not created any new rules or restrictions but simply raised our level of technology to better enforce the ones that have already been established.

The whole purpose of our message board is to disseminate in our forums as much information as can possibly best serve our members. We encourage questions and feedback about the places we recommend and everyone is encouraged to share their personal experiences in our public forums. PMs tend to defeat that purpose, with the sole exception of sharing information of a truly personal nature. By definition, PMs are personal messages and intended for members to discuss personal matters with fellow members that they would not feel comfortable talking about in our public forums. PMs are absolutely not a vehicle to secretly defy our rules and guidelines by soliciting members to other sites or establishments not recommended by Activity Guide.

The overwhelming majority of our loyal members appreciate the many services we are offering for free and abide fully by our TOS, both in our forums and PMs. However, with a substantial and ever-expanding membership, even a very small fraction of our members abusing the system can generate a substantial number of PMs. Part of my role as administrator is to protect our members from spam and other nefarious solicitations and to that end I have spent a great deal of time and expense in increasing the technology and sophistication of our internal messaging systems.

The establishments we recommend are all subject to peer review and public commentary in our forums, ensuring the accuracy and integrity of the information provided. Solicitations by PM are not subject to this same scrutiny and I would seriously question the motives of anyone compelled to make candid solicitations as opposed to posting them openly in our forums.

I hope that everyone will see this for what it is, a means of protecting ? and not infringing upon your privacy and best interests. My primary objective is to expose everyone to the places that I feel represent the very best of the Cayman Islands with everything right out in plain sight for all to see. Good or bad, we highly value your recent personal experiences at the places we endorse. Together, we will make everyone?s visit to the island the most cost-effective, rewarding and memorable experience imaginable.

0 person likes this post.

billinwilliamstReply with quote
Temporary Resident
Credits:
(7)

Temporary Resident

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: You do not have sufficient privileges to send private messag

Any idea why I get the error "You do not have sufficient privileges to send private messages to a user" when I tried to reply to a pm I was sent? Confused

I didn't give away the secret handshake, honest!!!

Thanks.

Last edited by billinwilliamst on Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Edited By : billinwilliamst Fri, 03 Nov 2006 15:53:00 -0500

kurtisReply with quote
Temporary Resident0
Temporary Resident

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Sorry Buddy,

You have to have a certain amount of postings before you can PM. I thought you did, and wanted to contact you outside the public forum. My bad. If I am incorrect about the PM, just a "yes or no" will be fine. Also, NOYB will be accepted. Jump

CaymantwinsReply with quote
Native0
Native
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes...would settle for an ocean instead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject:

No worries, you didn't do anything wrong or blow anything up!

Users have to meet a preset number of postings before they can PM or respond to PM's to anyone other than a Mod or Admin.

Kim palm

LIVE each day the the fullest... LAUGH until your sides hurt... LOVE like you've never loved before...

billinwilliamstReply with quote
Temporary Resident
Credits:
(7)

Temporary Resident

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject:

So, you're encourgaging me to spam the board, eh? Mr. Green

Kurtis,

No problem. It's just a coincidence. My name was going to be billinwilliamston, but it appears that it's two characters too long so it got truncated to billinwilliamst.

Native0
Native

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
So, you're encourgaging me to spam the board, eh?

BouncingLaugh Keep it clean... Wink

Kim palm

LIVE each day the the fullest... LAUGH until your sides hurt... LOVE like you've never loved before...

SHELLNNYNJReply with quote
Status Member0
Status Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject:

I believe they raised the limit a few months back. You have a bit to go!

Very Happy

Michelle

tikiReply with quote
Frequent Flyer0
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject:

I have privileges to pm members but not moderators?

I want to pm a moderator any hints how to do it?

scubacharReply with quote
Native0
Native

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Nope, you can't PM members for awhile yet, but I set your privileges so that you can PM both Mods and Joe.

Char

tikiReply with quote
Frequent Flyer0
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject:

Thanks! Smile

tracyaReply with quote
Status Member0
Status Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject:

What is a PM? This is all new to me...

amtwReply with quote
Frequent Flyer0
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject:

tracya wrote:
What is a PM? This is all new to me...

PM is a private message

Native0
Native

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Sorry Tiki! I didn't think about your PM rights when I sent you the PM about our upcoming vacations overlaping. I will PM you back later this evening, would love to meet you!

:palm:

tracyaReply with quote
Status Member0
Status Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject:

Duh, Thanx! Sometimes I wonder about me... crazy Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Cayman Activity Guide Forum Index -> Activity Guide Announcements and Suggestions
Page 1 of 1
Post a reply

Choose Display Order
User Permissions