Play     Stop

Memberlist Register  Follow Cayman Islands Activity Guide on Twitter  Cayman Activity Guide on My space Follow Cayman Activity Guide on Facebook
Profile Log in to check your private messages 

Royal Palms Live Webcam
Temperature: 77.8°F / 25.4°C | Humidity: 84% | Pressure: 29.99in / 1015hPa () | Conditions: Scattered Clouds | Wind Direction: NE | Wind Speed: 2.3mph / 3.7km/h | Water Temperature: 82 ° F
 Local News:  Charity needs furniture for half-way house    Sea search on for men missing from troubled boat    Cubans on run as centre struggles with security    Work underway to repair key GT highway    Road work under way    Young teacher honored    How public views court sentences    Sun, sand, and kite flying    Obituary: Olsey J. Corn, 1932-2014    
FAQFAQ  TOSTOS  SearchSearch  View unanswered postsView unanswered posts  
Earn CAG Credits with Every Review - Reward Values $25 - $1,200

SCOOTER RENTAL

As a non-registered guest, you are only able to read a portion of our forums. For complete access to all forums and the lowest prices and greatest savings, please spend a few minutes and register.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic      Cayman Activity Guide Forum Index -> Transportation

View previous topic :: View next topic  

suzedoveReply with quote
Newbie0

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: SCOOTER RENTAL

[font=Arial] [/font][size=14] [/size]

I called the number for scooter rental and asked about making reservations or putting a deposit down so we could be sure we'd have scooters the day we need them. The number on the coupon referred me to another number, then when I reached a lady there, she said they don't make reservations, and that they have "plenty of scooters". I am concerned because we won't be renting our scooters until about noon. Any suggestions?

0 person likes this post.

Joe StebbinsReply with quote
Founder/Administrator
Credits:
(16)

Founder/Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Hi suzedove - Welcome to our fourm. Very Happy

I no longer recommend renting scooters on Grand Cayman and I am going to remove that coupon. You would be well advised to hire a taxi or catch the bus. Better yet, do something exciting like a Stingray City trip with Soto's Cruises or a Pampered Ponies SWIM the horses ride and get a free pickup and drop off. Wink

suzedoveReply with quote
Newbie0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject:

We took your advise and booked with Soto's weeks ago. We planned on scootering out to the Turtle Farm and back. Last time we were there we took the very friendly, very convenient, and very inexpensive busses. We wanted to scooter for the fun of doing it. Is there a different scooter company? Is there a particular problem we should watch out for?

2nd question - how long does it take to get from the Turtle Farm to the QEII Botanical Garden. I know it's across the island, and I have an idea of distance, but I have no clue how much time to allow. Thanks for all the time you put into this forum. We really appreciate it. Parrot

divnpaulReply with quote
Moderator0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject:

Traffic on Grand Cayman, and West Bay Road in particular, is getting more congested by the day. Riding a scooter is becoming increasingly dangerous, unless you are VERY well versed in travelling on 2 wheels. That is why we are not longer recommending their rental.

To get from the Turtle Farm to the Botanical Gardens would take 30 to 40 minutes without traffic. Realistically, you may have to budget an hour each way.

Enjoy your trip with Soto's and have them drop you off at Royal Palms for a nice lunch.

Barbara PayneReply with quote
Newbie0

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: scooter rental

Is there a weight limit for renting scooters? Can you see the whole island in one day and do the stingray city thing too?

scubacharReply with quote
Native0
Native

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Welcome to the forum, Barbara Payne,

Since you are concerned with how much you can see in one day, I'm assuming that you must be planning a visit to the Caymans by cruise ship. Since Cayman is a tender port, some of the ships don't really spend a lot of time here.......when does your ship dock and when does it leave?

I have no idea if there is a weight limit for renting scooters, but I will say that I would highly discourage you against doing it. Unfortunately, there is quite a bit of traffic these days on the island, and for a newcomer, especially someone not familiar with driving on the left, you would be adding an incredible amount of stress to your day on the island....in my opinion.

Sting Ray City is a must do activity when visiting the Caymans and we highly recommend Soto's Cruises. Their discounted price for booking directly and ahead of time (and in cash) is $30 US. They will pick you up at the cruise ship dock and then drop you off wherever you like....a beach, the Turtle Farm, downtown......

Hope this helps,

Char

Barbara PayneReply with quote
Newbie0

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Seeing Grand Cayman

Thanks for your response--yes I am on a cruise and will be there for just the day. I think the ship arrives at 7:30 a.m. and departs and 2 p.m. Not much time. I thought the scooter option sounded fun, but maybe the traffic is too much. The cruise offers tours that include everything, but thought it would be fun to explore on our own with a scooter.

shellyReply with quote
Native
Credits:
(6)

Native

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Hi Barbara Payne

I'm with scubachar on the scooter rental--I think you would be much more comfortable in a car. There is lots of traffic and driving on the left is challenging when the traffic is heavy.

Good luck and have a great stopover in GC.

Shelly :-)

metalkwituReply with quote
Temporary Resident0
Temporary Resident

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject:

Barbara:

There is the safety issue with the traffic, although, I did see many islanders riding bicycles. However, they were usually only riding them in the areas away from Georgetown and all of the traffic.

There is another issue to consider....I saw three people riding scooters while we were there and they were caught in heavy downpour. I can't imagine that would be too comfortable, but, to each his own!! They DO look like fun, I'm just not sure the downtown Georgetown area is best suited for them. Again, just another opinion....

Karen2

tmangersReply with quote
Newbie0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Scooter Rentals

I am traveling to Grand Cayman in March and we are wanting to rent scooters and tour the island that way. We want to see the Stingrays and the Turtle farm for sure. Any ideas on somewhere to rent scooters in advance?

divnpaulReply with quote
Moderator0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject:

Joe Stebbins, the Administrator of the CAG Message Board says this:

Quote:
I do not recommend renting scooters, bicycles, motorcycles or any other such sort of transportation from any company under any circumstances. Until such time that traffic congestion can be alleviated - particularly in the central areas and bicycle lanes are constructed I do not feel these modes of transportation are safe for our members and readers.

I do strongly recommend renting a car from Andy's or Economy and experiencing as much of the beauty of the island as possible.

Traffic along Seven Mile Beach on West Bay Road can be scary. Coupled with the fact that you are travelling on the "other" side of the road and not being familiar with the area, we do not recommend it. If you saw they way my friend returned from his honeymoon a few years ago, you'd know why.

Play it safe and rent a car. Wink

Edited By : divnpaul Fri, 19 Jan 2007 08:03:40 -0500

RavenchyldeReply with quote
Status Member0
Status Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Scooter Rentals

tmangers wrote:
I am traveling to Grand Cayman in March and we are wanting to rent scooters and tour the island that way. We want to see the Stingrays and the Turtle farm for sure. Any ideas on somewhere to rent scooters in advance?

Hello tmangers! wave

There are people who rent scooters on the island, sure you can find them if you feel you must using your search engine, gavel However I must say Joe's statement about the congestion, and Divinpaul's friend can vouch for seeking alternative means of transportation could save you from a unwanted event, possibly putting the brakes on your vacatation getaway. Hence, the lack of recommendations for any 2 wheel type of transportation. Drive Driving in a car is an adventure in it self Shock .....people who normally drive on the right side do not look right usually before stepping off to cross the street especially when they are thinking of other things, and could knock you over, or cause you to collide with a car, or bus. That's one of many reasons why everyone preaches about getting a car.....

Ravenchylde sun

Edited By : Ravenchylde Fri, 19 Jan 2007 08:48:27 -0500

divnpaulReply with quote
Moderator0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject:

I stepped off the curb once down there and almost ended up with a Ford logo implanted in my butt....

tmangersReply with quote
Newbie0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject:

Thank you guys so much for all of your input. I think we will just book a tour with our cruise ship and leave the scooters out of our adventures.

Thanks so much

RavenchyldeReply with quote
Status Member0
Status Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Below is a link to a posting from Joe, regarding Cycling on the Island. At the end of the post he mentions scooters as well

click here

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Cayman Activity Guide Forum Index -> Transportation
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Rate as     
__  based on no votes ratings.
Post a reply

Choose Display Order
User Permissions