CLOSE

SHOP & RELAX

Overnight VisitorCruise VisitorResident

CLOSE

WEDDINGS

CLOSE

Wharf Friday Night Happy Hour

HOME Forums Dining and Entertainment After Hours Wharf Friday Night Happy Hour

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • Author

Joe,

I didn’t really notice the background much until you brought my attention to it. Looks like a good party. Maybe needs a collage effect with something overlaying that top part? 🙄

The food pictures were tasty looking. Maybe need some yummy drink pictures since that is what people have to buy? :wine: :martini: :cheers:

I’m a computer geek. :typing: What do I know? I did add “Wharf – Friday night happy hour” to my list so apparently the pictures get the job done.

Kay

:sun:

:dancing:

Anonymous

I love/need feedback like this. Please keep it coming. 😀

NOTE: I do have stock drink photos if there is room for them when I write their printed editorial. It was way too hectic to attempt shooting anything like that during all the festivity. I didn’t shoot the band because Footloose was playing, but they change the band some weeks. I did not want to give people the false impression that Footloose would be there every Friday. 😉

Blaze
    blaze

Actually the crowd shot with the large tables jammed with people detracts from my first impression of the event – makes it look like a mob scene. I would have gone with a closer shot of happy faces sitting at the main bar with more of the ocean and that glowing sunet in the backround. Or a collage of several closer shots of happy patrons, a smiling bartender, the band, people dancing, people toasting, people eating, lovers snuggling etc. (You asked for feedback) That being said my wife and I can’t wait to go there in a couple of weeks. :cheers:

Blaze makes a very good point. The first impression of the crowd was that it would be tough to get in there and if we did we’d be overrun with other patrons. I know the objective is to say “hey, look at how successful we are” but it might just shot them in the foot.

The message that might get sent is “stay away.” No doubt that’s not the message you want to be received.

On further consideration the other potential down side of this is that people will look at that picture and think it’s indicative of what the restaurant is like every night – yikes! If I thought it looked like that there’s no way I’d go there for a quality meal. I’ve eaten there and know it’s not that way but man, that’s a big risk since I believe they say the average person comprehends and retains 20% of the written word – my point is even if you put a disqualifier in there you run the risk that people won’t read it or if they do read it, they don’t remember it.

Seems to me the restaurant needs to decide what market they want – do they want the fine dining crowd or do they want something else? Do you happen to know what market they want to attract?

Truth be known, a large number of the happy folks in the picture have come there after work and are not tourists. In order to stay in business, restaurants have to offer something to the residents as well. A good example (although closed now) was Casanova’s. Their lunch crowd was almost entirely people who walked there from their offices in GT. Yet it was a very popular dinner destination for visitors.

Anonymous

Good point Sue – I’d say it was about 70% visitors the night I took the picture. This is an excellent place to mingle with the locals. From divemasters to doctors, you will have a chance to meet a wide variety of Cayman’s interesting and friendly people. I guess I should add this to the “where do the locals eat” thread. :laugh:

Caribbeansun – Thaks for noticing that, I will deal with it somehow when I write the magazine version of this editorial. The Wharf already has an outstanding reputation for fine dining, and they are just adding a fun Happy Hour night with free food and live music. It gives many people an opportunity to experience the splendor of this world-class restaurant who might not have come otherwise. 😉

I need to point out that the Wharf is HUGE. That entire picture with all the people only represents less than 1/4 of the whole property – That is just the bar area. They also have a massive indoor dining room and outdoor patio; and an outdoor ocean-front seating area (not pictured) much larger than the bar area. There is an upstairs 2-tier deck seating area that holds about 40 people and a private gazebo. While happy hour was going on, there were at least an additional 100 people enjoying intimate dinners that evening in other areas of the restaurant.

Every New Years Eve they add additional tables on the beach and seat hundreds of customers. I have been there for their NYE show three times now and even with that large a crowd it does not seem too crowded – except for the dance floor which gives us a good excuse to dance on tables! Plus, they always have the most extravagant fireworks display. :pirate:

Kchick
    kchick

When we were there last year, we went to Hard Rock on Fri evening, and they did the same thing, but they had shepards pie that night, and i wanted something different. About everyone that was there was working in the cayman. Had a great time though!w :wine: :martini: :drinking:

Anonymous

Hard Rock still offers Happy Hour on Friday nights and it is excellent! I will be posting a review on that in the near future. Be sure to bring the Activity Guide coupon with you if you go for additional savings. 😉

Currently, there are about 12 Happy Hours on Friday. They change frequently, so always check the Nightly Events section of Activity Guide Magazine when you are here to see what is offered. It is itemized by the night and there are many events going on every single night of the week. 😉

Kchick
    kchick

We really knew nothing about the activity guide last year, picked it up at about the end of the trip. My bad……………….. 😳 But I know now!!!!!

Anonymous

This should help put it in perspective.

That entire picture of Happy Hour comprised the immediate bar area which is located under the dark roof beyond the gazebo in the upper right hand corner. They also have an indoor air-conditioned dining room that seats about 100 people. We are talking LARGE here. :laugh:

http://www.caymanactivityguide.com/forums/images/Wharf.jpg" alt="" title="" class="bbcode-image" />

Well, Joe, you said you wanted feedback, so I hope it’s ok if I tell everyone about our impressions of the Wharf Happy Hour. We went two times on our most recent visit in Feb/Mar on both Friday nights. To tell you the truth, the reason for going was to listen and dance to Footloose….not the free food, although that was a big plus. Well, the first time we went, we didn’t go until around 6-ish (I think the hours for the Happy Hour are 5-7), cause we knew that Footloose wasn’t supposed to start playing until 8:00 p.m..

Yeah, the food was good, and looked just like Joe’s picture, but the crowd was absolutely huge, and by that time of night, there was no place to sit, much less to stand. All we could do was stare at people that looked like they might be leaving their table soon and hope to beat someone else to the table. That’s not a lot of fun….I’m ok with it, but my husband isn’t too fond of standing around and hates fighting for a table. And, it’s hard to eat and drink at the same time, when you have no place to sit or even set anything down on.

Finally, the people started to leave and we got a table……it definitely seemed to be mostly locals (by a large majority) — which is fine. Then, we had to wait till 8:00 for Footloose to play. We waited……and waited…..and waited……and waited. Finally, about 8:40 three of the four members of the band started to play. They had been looking at their watches every couple of minutes, and it looked like they were waiting for their lead singer, Morvin, to show up…..he never did. But, they were great, even without him. After all, two of them, Harry and Henry used to play with Barefoot, so they are wonderful entertainers.

However, since, we also wanted to go up to the Royal Palms that night, which is our most favorite place to dance and have some drinks, we didn’t stay long.

Well, the second Friday night, the Royal Palms was having a special party to celebrate Cingular’s one year anniversary on the island (a cell phone provider) and we didn’t feel like paying $25 a head to attend that (duh!), so we decided to give Footloose at the Wharf another try, but this time we were going to skip the mob at Happy Hour.

So, we went about 7:15, got a great table, and Footloose started playing just about on time…..again without their lead singer, but apparently he was ill. We had a great time dancing and drinking and were just as happy to avoid the earlier crowds. :spindance: It was a real treat to see some of the old regulars who used to be up at Royal Palms at the Wharf that night….

But, if you like to be where the action is, and don’t mind crowds (or standing), don’t hesitate to go to the Happy Hour (after all, it’s free food!). If you are planning on a fine dining experience at the restaurant, don’t worry. You won’t be impacted whatsoever by the Happy Hour crowd. You’ll have a great evening.

Sorry, if this comes off as negative, but it seemed that others were thinking the same thing, and I wanted to share our experience and thoughts.

Anonymous

scubachar – I don’t percieve it as negative, and I always want feedback – good or bad. With that much great free food, of course it is going to be crowded with limited seating. The picture shows that, which is one of the reasons I did not try to disguise it with intimate closeup shots. We are promoting it as a big party and a great way to meet people, not an intimate seating with free gourmet food. For that, you would need to make a reservation and buy dinner. 😉

Hopefully my previous post and picture has demonstrated that this in no way affects the quality of service, intimacy, or seating avaliablity for paying customers.

Footloose has had some very bad luck lately. Thier lead singer has been seriously ill for months and then last week their guitar player had a stroke – They had a substitute the night I was there. I wish these wonderful people who have brought joy into the lives of so many all the best for a speedy recovery. :cheers:

Joe,

So sorry to hear about Footloose…..their lead singer must REALLY be sick if he’s still not back. 🙁 Also, so sad about their guitarist….was that Harry? I know Henry is on the keyboard, and I don’t know the name of the drummer. Is Harry the guitarist who had the stroke? I don’t want to start any rumors here! Let’s wait for Joe’s response….I could very well have the names wrong…

Anonymous

kchick wrote:

We really knew nothing about the activity guide last year, picked it up at about the end of the trip. My bad……………….. 😳 But I know now!!!!!

We have over 200 locations island wide, but the easiest place is right at airport arrivals after you pass Immigration on your way to collect your bags.

I could post itemized examples that would be much higher, but the average person doing activities and dining out every day will save about $100 a day by using our advertisers and taking advantage of the offers and discounts in the magazine. 😉

Anonymous

scubachar – Yes, it was Harry the guitarist. He is expected to regain the use of his left hand, but how long it will take is not yet known. 🙁

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

MAKE A RESERVATION TODAY

CLOSE

STAY

CLOSE

DINE

CLOSE

FUN

CLOSE

DIVE

CLOSE