Overnight VisitorCruise VisitorResident

CLOSE

SHOP & RELAX

CLOSE

WEDDINGS

CLOSE

Turtle Nest Inn – Best Price OCEANFRONT Rooms

HOME Forums Accommodations Resorts Turtle Nest Inn – Best Price OCEANFRONT Rooms

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author

I have never stayed thee but have heard great things about it. You are not within walking distance but if you have a car then you are not far from Georgetown. And 7MB is just to the other side of Georgetown time wise it is hard to say with traffic but 20-30 minutes maybe? I may be way off because I cant quite remember just where Turtle Nest Inn is.

Anyone else know?

Splattga
    splattga

It is in Boden Town about 20-30 min from Georgetown but well worth the drive! :thumb:

Jeanjohn
    jeanjohn

I don’t know of anyone who hasn’t liked the Turtle Nest Inn.Alain and Marleine are wonderful hosts.

LisaW
    LisaW

Thanks! We decided to go ahead and book at TNI, since we’ve read nothing but rave reviews. 🙂

How long a drive is it from TNI to Rum Point? SMB? East End? Looking at Christopher Columbus Condo on SMB which looks also a bit outside the craziness, but north end of SMB, which might make it hard to access Rum Point/East End?

Distances from Bodden Town:

Rum Pointe 15.3 miles

East End 10.3 miles

SMB Public Beach 14.4 miles

I wouldn’t let the distances deter you from staying at Turtle Nest Inn, I’m writing from there right now and it’s a lovely, secluded spot with its own private beach that offers great snorkeling right out the front door. It’s also reasonably priced and given that you get a full kitchen, you can save a lot cooking some of your own meals. If you want to tour various sights around the island, you’ll face a drive no matter where you stay. Turtle Nest is pretty centrally located, if you plan to tour the Botanic Gardens, Rum Point, and East end sights it’s actually closer than the 7 mile beach area. We’ve discovered wind and sea conditions differ on different parts of the island–it may be rough in one place, but you can drive to another that’s calmer. But it really depends on whether you want to be in the center of the “action;” if that’s the case, this isn’t the spot. There are very few dining options nearby, and nothing within walking distance. If you just want to hang out around 7 mile beach and be close to a larger variety of restaurants you can walk to, then Turtle Nest may not be ideal. But I would recommend this place highly, it’s clean, the inn keepers are nice, and getting away from the screaming kids and hoards of cruise ship passengers descending on the more popular beach resorts is worth the driving hassles.

LisaW
    LisaW

Hey Straightscoop, believe it or not, we just checked out of Turtle Nest Inn this morning after eight nights, so we must have met you this week! (We’re the couple from Maryland. Are you by any chance the family from North Carolina/Baltimore/Boston, or the couple from Fort Lauderdale, or maybe one of the couples from Canada???) 🙂

For anyone considering going there, my concerns about whether it was too far away from the action were unfounded. It was so lovely and quiet that even on the nights when we went into Seven Mile Beach for dinner, I was looking forward to getting back to the serenity of TNI.

We had enough time that we got to explore Smith’s Cove, Cemetery Beach and Rum Point (twice) and still took a couple of days to just relax by the pool and beach at Turtle Nest. (The beach itself is pretty rocky there, but makes for good snorkeling, so be sure to bring along slip-on beach shoes to avoid sharp shells and rocks.)

Marleine and Alain were wonderful hosts and made sure we always had everything we needed, whether it was snorkeling gear, more towels, beach chairs to take along to Seven Mile Beach, more sunscreen when we ran out, etc. And their dog Blackie and cats Vitamine and Kalaloo were very welcoming, too.

I would highly recommend Turtle Nest Inn and hope to return.

Lisa W.

Pghjay
    pghjay

This place is in the IDEAL location 15 min. from Georgetown and 20 -30 min. from Rumpoint,we stayed here in Nov, for 3 days and absolutely loved it,you will not be sorry you booked the TNI hope you have a great time

Jay

Thanks! Very helpful.

Bedn0009
    bedn0009
    Participant

Hello…. great forum.

My wife and two of our friends are coming to Grand Cayman on Feb 25th and are staying in a condo at the Turtle Nest Inn on the south side of the island near Bodden Town.

I want to get general impressions from anyone who’s stayed in these condos, and also some restaurant, bar and shopping recommendations for that area (groceries, liquor, etc).

Also, any tips on snorkeling in that area?

Any info you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum bedn0009 🙂 ,

Always nice to see another Minnesotan on the boards……

Thanks for your kind words, and I think you should be able to find answers to a lot of your questions if you spend some time reading in the various forums. Otherwise, if you still have questions (and I’m sure you will….), ask away!

In the meantime, I think that some of your concerns about the area around the Turtle Nest Inn and snorkeling there might be answered if you read this thread on the Turtle Nest Inn http://www.caymanactivityguide.com/forums/images/ButtonHere.gif" alt="" title="" class="bbcode-image" />, if you haven’t already. Be sure to scroll all the way through…..I just merged another similar thread in with it this morning.

Since you mentioned that you are staying in a condo at the Turtle Nest Inn, I’m not sure if you’re actually staying in the “hotel” or in one of the condos that they operate right nearby. I seem to remember another member long ago reporting back after having stayed in one of those, but I couldn’t find the posts. I do believe the report was favorable!

If you go to the shopping forum, I think there are some threads about grocery shopping on the south side…….I think you are in luck, though, because I think that Foster’s has just opened up a wonderful new store not far from you in Savannah.

Liquor stores aren’t open on Sundays, so keep that in mind, but I’m sure there are some near you. Liquor is expensive, so be sure to bring in your alloted duty-free allowance (to save $$$$)…..lots about that in the Getting There forum (I think).

I hope that you booked the Turtle Nest Inn through our http://www.caymanactivityguide.com/forums/templates/SoftBlue/images/HotelSearchLinkIcon.gif" alt="" title="" class="bbcode-image" /> page, because you can always be assured of the best rate when you do. If not, maybe they’ll still give you something special for mentioning the Activity Guide.

Hope this helps, Char

FandFmom
    FandFmom

Hi There –

We didn’t stay in the condos, but we did stay at the Turtle Nest Inn last March. We really enjoyed it. As far as location, we thought it was good for being kind of central to exploring either end of the island. We did not explore any of the local places to eat near the Inn, but our favorite meal was at the Lighthouse which is maybe less than a 10 minute drive.

I did a trip report, search for it on the trip report pages – probably page 2 now.

As for groceries, we stopped at Foster’s (?) on the way from the airport to stock up on bread, peanut butter, chips – you know lunch type food, and soft drinks.

You will see mixed reviews on the snorkeling right there. I didn’t like the rocky shore line (I was too worried about stepping on and harming any coral along the shore, and there was some turtle grass). However, once you got past that (and its really not a lot) there was great snorkeling. And we really had fun and enjoyed it. there were huge coral mounds, lots of fish (many we were seeing for the first time). Other snorkeling places we really liked was Smith’s Cove and Cemetery Beach.

My tip would be head out after morning rush hour, and kind of have a plan of attack for the day. Start at your farthest place you want to go to and work your way back. Keep in mind rush hour heading back to the condos. We would head out to a beach or two, change clothes (and clean up a little) and then have dinner either in Georgetown or along 7 Mile Beach. This helped avoid the evening traffic.

As far as shopping for souvenirs – I would say I bought most at the place near Smith’s Cove – Pure Art (I hope that’s the name). And a few odds and ends at other stores, but i can’t remember the names. One word of caution…Georgetown seems to shut down after the cruise ship passengers leave, or at least that is how it seemed to us.

You will have a great time. We’re hooked and are planning a return trip – hopefully in June.

Slb083
    slb083

Hi, working on vacation plans and wanted to know if anyone has any thoughts on the Turtle Nest Inn? Looks like what we are looking for just wondered if anyone had stayed there lately?

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

MAKE A RESERVATION TODAY

CLOSE

STAY

CLOSE

DINE

CLOSE

FUN

CLOSE

DIVE

CLOSE