Overnight VisitorCruise VisitorResident

CLOSE

SHOP & RELAX

CLOSE

WEDDINGS

CLOSE

Turtle Nest Inn – Best Price OCEANFRONT Rooms

HOME Forums Accommodations Resorts Turtle Nest Inn – Best Price OCEANFRONT Rooms

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Hobie16
    hobie16

We are going to Grand Cayman for the 1st time in Feb. and have a few questions for those who would be kind enough to answer. We’ve spent some trips on Cozumel and, Wilma damage aside, it was beginning to get a bit busy with cruise traffic so we’ve opted for Cayman this time. On Coz we knew where to go to avoid crowds but are clueless in that regard for this trip.

7MB looks like fun to visit but we doubt we would want to stay there – where on the island is a good area to stay that is “away” but not too far away? We’ve been looking at the Turtle Nest Inn and the Bodden Town area. We don’t dive (do snorkel) so diving isn’t a factor. What I do like is sailing – is there anywhere to either rent boats or go on one that would alow you to sail it?

Thanks so much for any help.

Welcome hobie16,

Glad you found us! Boy, from what you tell us about yourself, I would think that the Turtle Nest Inn is just about ideal for you! It’s off the beaten track, but not too far away from restaurants and night life if you just want to take a little drive into Georgetown.

There are a few trip reports from members of this forum who have stayed there and were quite thrilled with it.

Don’t know if there are any places that will rent you a sailboat (is that where your name “hobie” comes from??). I do know that Moore Marine rents motor boats, but I realize that’s not what you’re looking for. You can read about them on this thread…. HERE

I’m sure others will read this and maybe post some more suggestions for you after the busy holiday weekend.

Take care, and once again, Welcome!

Char

Maggi
    Maggi

We stayed at the Turtle Nest Inn in January 05 and are headed there again in 2 weeks… It’s a wonderful place and the snorkelling right in front of the Inn is great too. It’s a quick easy drive in to Georgetown and the 7 Mile Beach area. We thought it would be a long ways out but we really enjoyed the location…and the local flare of Bodden Town. And the best Jerk Chicken Stand is just a little ways up the road from the TNI… My mouth is watering for it already. You’ll love Cayman! We sure do…it’s become an addiction! :cheers:

Maggi

Gjm
    gjm

hobie:

I would not X-out SMB. For a first time Cayman visitor, it is a proper introduction to GC. It is not an overdeveloped strip of sand. Most properties along SMB are low-rise low-density condos. In my experience, SMB “crowds” can be found in front of the hotels Marriott/Hyatt/Ritz (I guess now that is open)/Westin, the public beach (north of the Westin) and at properties that cater to the cruise ships (Royal Palms and Beach Club Colony). If you stay at a SMB condo, many days (even in February), you may find yourself on a relatively deserted beach.

However, if the off the beaten path travel adventurers spirit in you prevails, then TNI would be an excellent choice as would the NorthSide, Cayman Kai or West Bay.

Snorkeling is not great along SMB, but SMB in front of the Marriott offers some interesting snorkeling in and around a manmade reef. A Soto’s Cruise’s trip to StingRay City and North Sound snorkel sites is a must.

Sailboats are not listed among the rentable inventory at MooreMarine (caymanislandsboatrentals.com), but I imagine an inquiry to them might sort it out for certain. Sunfish and catamarans can be rented beachside in front of most of the major SMB resorts.

gjm

Hobie,

I agree, from what you say, you are probably going to be well suited to the Turtles Nest.

We look for quiet, and less crowds in our vacations too. We have stayed both on 7MB and on the Northside. The Northside suits our needs best, but, we too are considering the Turtles Nest should we be able to make it down this spring [expecting a grandbaby…number 1, can’t leave, so we’ll see]. The Turtles Nest sounds like it would be the best deal for you, because it meets your requirement of out of the crowd, and yet close enough to enjoy them should you choose to do so.

MJ posted a great trip report on his stay with wonderful pictures. I’d really advise looking at that in the trip report section. You can read his great trip report with photos Right Here !

MJ may also be able to help you with questions.

You are going to love your trip!

~Karen

Anonymous

Hi hobie16 – Welcome to the forum. 😀

If you decide to go with Turtle Nest Inn, be sure to contact them by using our new Hotel Search feature http://www.caymanactivityguide.com/forums/templates/SoftBlue/images/HotelSearchLinkIcon.gif" alt="" title="" class="bbcode-image" /> . By filling in your vacation dates and e-mail address, you will receive discounted personal rate quotes for this property. They are extremely popular and tend to sell out far in advance. 😉

Hobie16
    hobie16

Thanks for the welcome and the input. I’ve checked out several boards and this seems to have the most activity. I tried to help on the Cozumel boards when possible and I know the value of some insider knowledge that can’t be found in the guide books when you visit a place for the 1st time.

I had just sent T.N.I. an e-mail about availability and haven’t heard back yet, we’ll also check out the North and East side.

If there are catamarans around I’ll find a way to get on one – I’ll just look for the sails.

I will be glad to mention the CAG to the hotel and it looks like a discount is available from Andy’s Rentals as well. We wanted to use them anyway just because we thought the name was cool for a car rental place – kind of like “Bob’s Burgers”, etc.

Thanks again, I’m sure we’ll have more questions in the coming weeks and won’t hesitate to ask.

Mart00
    mart00

This is our first visit to Grand Cayman, June16-23. We’ll be staying at the Turtle Next Inn. I’ve got lots of good ideas from this site, but anything you would definitely recommend , Id appreciate. Definitely going to snorkel, eat and shop!!!!! Kayak, parasail, ????? Ps. one child, male 16. THanks 😀

Edit: Title changed for clarity. – Joe

Welcome Mart000, You will have a great time on GC. There is so much to see and do. What are your interests? Do you guys snorkel or dive? If you don’t dive but would like to learn you can take a resort course that would allow you to try diving out to see if it is for you or not. Don Fosters and Eden Rock are very convenient to Georgetown which would be convenient for you since you are staying in Bodden Town. If you will need a rental car you can get a 20% discount thru Andy’s rental. Just go to their website to reserve it. To get the disc. just use the CAG20. And please feel free to browse around the forums, there is a wealth of information here at your disposal. If we can help you out in any way, just let us know.

Welcome to the forum, mart00 😀 ,

I definitely think you should check out Cayman Kayaks for something fun and different to do….

I’m also thinking that your son might be interested in the Black Pearl Skate and Wave Park…..you can read about that here….http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/scubachar/Random%20Other%20Photos/ButtonHere.gif" alt="" title="" class="bbcode-image" />

Have fun planning!

Char

Duranie
    duranie

Has anyone been here recently? I am going May 2nd, would love to hear stories. Did anyone go to their Thursday night dinner? Is it all Indian food?

Maggi
    Maggi

We spent 3 weeks at the TNI in January 2005 and again in January 2006…. :thumb: The TNI is just what the website says. :palm: Read the guest comments – it’s all true. It is clean, comfortable, well equipped and a wonderful place to relax. 😎 I think the snorkelling right out front is the best anywhere on the island. :diving: We’re booked for January 2008 but going with another couple so we’re staying next door where there will be more room for 2 couples. The Terrace Dinners are fabulous and you should definitely go. :dine: Marleine and Alain are great hosts and the food is superb. When we were there they served butter chicken, coconut prawns, a potato cauli dish, grilled sausage…etc. etc. etc. We wish we had taken pictures of the food – it was really fabulous.

You need a car when staying at the TNI as it is about 20 minutes out of Georgetown (10 miles) but you won’t regret staying there.

We’ve stayed in ocean front and ocean view and both were great. Had one night in the small village room and it is very small – just as the web says – ok for a night or two but we overpack every time 😳 so quite crowded if you’re like us and bring a lot of stuff with you.

Can you tell we loved staying at the TNI???

If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask… I’m a definite fan and repeat customer of the TNI.

:palm1:

Duranie
    duranie

Thank you for responding!

Are all toilettries there? Body wash, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion? I want to know if I need to pack that sort of stuff.

Does it get cool at night at all?

Know any restaurants that seat you outside on the beach besides Hemmingways? We rented a car. I am really looking forward to it.

Maggi
    Maggi

Yes I believe there was shampoo, conditioner and soap and it was replaced as needed… same for the kitchen with dish soap, garbage bags, etc. provided as needed. The cleaning staff at the Inn is very good. we did bring our own toiletries though as we normally do just because we like to overpack and haul 4 x 50 pound bags with us every where we go. There is a place where a Chef cooks for you in his garden that we did not try but I’ve read lots of good things about it and talked to some TNI guests who went and really enjoyed it. There is lots of information about that place as well as other highly recommended restaurants in the TNI Info sheets that will be in your room when you arrive. The Lighthouse Restaurant overlooks the ocean and if my memory serves me is less than 5 minutes down the road from the TNI and it serves superb meals.

I’m so excited and we have such a long time to wait for our Cayman Holiday!

:palm1: Maggi…. aka Chris

LisaW
    LisaW

We’re thinking about booking at the Turtle Nest Inn. How secluded is it? We’d like to still be able to go to Seven Mile Beach and other areas around the island during our stay, and we will rent a car. Is it reasonably convenient to other areas? About how far a drive, minuteswise, would it be from Turtle Nest to Seven Mile Beach, George Town, etc?

It looks lovely in the pictures, but it also looks like it’s sitting pretty much by itself. We stayed at a beautiful resort in Punta Cana a couple of years ago, but it was so far removed from other resorts and towns that we felt a little isolated. We don’t want to be that far out again… Is it close to anything like other hotels, restaurants, etc?

Thanks much!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

MAKE A RESERVATION TODAY

CLOSE

STAY

CLOSE

DINE

CLOSE

FUN

CLOSE

DIVE

CLOSE