Overnight VisitorCruise VisitorResident

CLOSE

SHOP & RELAX

CLOSE

WEDDINGS

CLOSE

Snorkeling Suggestions?

HOME Forums Cruise Ship Activities Making The Most Of One Day Snorkeling Suggestions?

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi L.A.S.T – Welcome to the forum. 😀

The Cali, Smith Cove and Eden Rock are all suitable for intermediate snorkelers and a short walk from the dock. By my definition, an “intermediate” is someone who is:

1. A good swimmer

2. Is comfortable in fairly calm water

3. Does not need to stand up

Whereas a “beginner” is someone who has never snorkeled before and would need to start out in a shallow area where they can stand up until they become comfortable with it.

You can rent a scooter from Scooters and Wheels. You will see a coupon for them in the coupon section. Print all the cupons and bring them with you. They will come in handy. 😉

The Gamma is near the Wharf Restaurant, about 1.5 miles from the cruise dock. Partially submerged, it lies in about 15′ of water. Be careful of sharp rusty objects.

L.A.S.T.
    L.A.S.T.

Thank you Joe! You’re wonderful! 😀 😀

Couple of more questions:

Is Cemetary Beach easier to snorkel?

Is Smith’s Cove easier to walk to than Gamma? They appear about the same distance away from tender area, opposite directions. 😕

Can you see the Cali Wreck while snorkeling above without needing to dive down?

I was looking for something easier and cheaper than scooter rental, like regular bikes, oh well. Maybe Sotos’s will drive us past the Gamma wreck and drop us off at Simth’s Cove and then we could just walk back and snorkel along the way – wishful thinking huh? 😆

Again, Thanks.

L.A.S.T.

Anonymous

Is Cemetary Beach easier to snorkel?

You have to swim out about 50 yards to get to the reef structure. The other places I mentioned are as easy and offer better snorkeling. Cemetary Beach is at the far end of Seven Mile Beach, a costly taxi fare or longer scooter/bicycle ride.

Is Smith’s Cove easier to walk to than Gamma? They appear about the same distance away from tender area, opposite directions. 😕

Smith Cove and The Wharf are about the same distance, in opposite directions.

Can you see the Cali Wreck while snorkeling above without needing to dive down?

Scooters are very affordable with the Activity Guide coupon. Soto’s will take you to the Gamma or anywhere else you like between The Hyatt and the cruise dock.

Sorry, I’m going to throw in another factor when it comes time to make your decision. Just in case the water is a little rough that day along Smith Cove and near the Gamma, don’t give up on the day! It may actually be quite calm up at the Cemetary beach. We have found this to be true over and over again……I guess because the Cemetary beach is kind of near where the land hooks that it is protected when the waves are rolling a bit further down the 7 Mile Beach and in the harbor.

Now, bear in mind, that I have only gone to Cayman in the winter (Feb or March), so maybe that’s something characteristic of the wind and wave patterns that time of year.

We have always enjoyed snorkeling at Cemetary Beach and have always seen lots of fish, although it’s a little bit of a swim out and back. Smith Cove is great too, but I haven’t gone there in years, and I’m afraid I’ve never snorkeled at the Gamma. Don’t forget Eden Rock, right in the harbor, unless it’s really too crowded. It’s not a bad place at all….

Hope this helps….. :diving:

Char

Divnpaul
    divnpaul
    Participant

I have snorkelled at the Wreck of the Gamma (some call it the HMS Tetanus…) many times, but I’m not sure it is something that a person with only a few hours on the island would find it worth to do. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give it a 6. And unless you are very comfortable in the water, I would only do it if it is very calm. You can actually snorkel “into” the wreck as some of it is above the water line, but again, only when it is very calm. I’ll see if I can post some pictures later.

I have never snorkeled at Smith Cove, so I can’t comment on that.

Hi L.A.S.T. –

Boy – oh – Boy – everyone’s got an opinion, so I’m going to throw mine on the pile too. My family only does snorkeling at the present though we want to get into diving sometime soon.

We absolutely love Smith’s Cove. It is easy to get into – we usually head out straight and then left from the entrance to find lots of beautiful elkhorn coral, parrot fish, angelfish and many others. You can see some of the large rock formations sticking out of the water from land. There are several large ones to swim around with lots of crevices with lots of interestings things. If the water is a little rough – As it was during our trip this year – just stay towards the center and left and you will be fine. To the right on the entrance is a “swim-through’ area between and under some large rocks – you would not want to get close to that area when the water is rough. But the other areas are open enough to swim and not worry about getting slammed into something, if that makes sense. Another reason I like Smith Cove for snorkeling is because of the large rocks I have never seen any boat traffic close enough to be concerned with.

(I think I have posted some photos on a Smith Cove thread LOOK HERE )

About Cemetary Beach – I can only give my own experience – which I hope will be more on my next trip. This is a nice sandy uncrowded (usually) beach. The coral and any fish are a pretty good swim out. I would recommend a dive flag or float of some kind.

I have not snorkeled the wreck you are talking about. (I wonder why not?! I’ll add that one to my list. 😆 )

Hope this hasn’t confused you even more. The water is incredibly beautiful everywhere so I know you will enjoy it.

Kay

:sun:

:dancing:

Hi Garden Girl :wave: Wondering if can resize the photos in the link to Smith Cove pics u posted from a disposable camera…since the update I’m guessing shrank down so much….the ones I see are great, can you resize them so I can c the rest please 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

MAKE A RESERVATION TODAY

CLOSE

STAY

CLOSE

DINE

CLOSE

FUN

CLOSE

DIVE

CLOSE