Overnight VisitorCruise VisitorResident

CLOSE

SHOP & RELAX

CLOSE

WEDDINGS

CLOSE

Snorkeling Suggestions?

HOME Forums Cruise Ship Activities Making The Most Of One Day Snorkeling Suggestions?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • Author

All the beaches are free as far as I know. Walk a little farther to get away from the crowds and the beaches get a little nicer. 😀

Hello
    hello

How far is the start 7 mile beach from the seaport where the cruise ships dock. also is 7 mile beach pretty where it starts. Rumors have varied regarding this with some that a taxi is needed and others than its one mile away and an easy walk.

Anonymous

The start of Seven Mile Beach is about 1 mile from the cruise ship dock. It’s all beautiful. It depends on what you are looking for. The snorkeling gets better closer to the Turtle Farm but that is about 10 miles from the dock. The snorkeling is good anywhere if you are a good swimmer and can handle a 100 – 150 yard swim out to the reefs. The Cali is a nice little snorkel spot about 5 minutes from the dock, right next to Rackams Pub.

Hello
    hello

Im only going to have about 3 hours in Grand Caymen by the time I get off the ship and allow time to get back in time. Unfortunately Im not going to have time to explore so I have to figure out where Im going before I get there.

Part of me is thinking to go snorking at Eden Roc as its the closest and easiest but I gather its not very pretty. The crowds Im willing to put up with given the short amount of time I’ll have in port, but I’d really like a decent looking beach. People in Grand Caymen probably cant even envision our beaches, brown water and slime, so Im really hoping to find some turquoise water. Is walking the mile to 7 mile beach worth it or is Eden Roc not all that bad.

Im thinking the start of 7 mile Beach. Am I correct the Cali is the opposite direction from the pier or is it in the same direction. If its in the same direction I could stop off there take a dip and continue onto 7 mile beach, stopping at the start of 7 mile Beach. One mile is about the maximum I can walk.

Id like a pretty beach, within a mile from the port, and also snorking but maybe I’ll have to make a choice between pretty beach and snorking.

Also I have what many will consider a really dumb question. What is a reef? Dont get me wrong I scuba dive and snorkel and have seen lots of fish, some reptiles (turtles),and even a shark (nurse shark) in the sea but I dont think Ive ever seen a reef though Ive heard the term

Anonymous

Hello, there is no such thing as a “dumb” question on this message board. 😉

The Cali is on your way towards Seven Mile Beach walking with the ocean on your left it is right before Rackams Pub, about a 3 minute walk from where you dock. You can get to the Wharf within about a mile and they have a nice beach, excellent bar and restaurant. Shade, not crowded, good snorkling and NO CHARGE.

A reef is an underwater formation of corals, fans, sponges and other assorted wildlife frequented by fish, octopus, eels, rays, crabs, etc. There are over 1,000 species of fish and corals in the Cayman Islands and you will see many of them wherever you snorkel.

Hello
    hello

If the Wharf is about a mile from the port and the start of 7 Mile Beach is about a mile from the port does that mean that the Wharf is at the start of 7 mile Beach?

Anonymous

hello wrote:

If the Wharf is about a mile from the port and the start of 7 Mile Beach is about a mile from the port does that mean that the Wharf is at the start of 7 mile Beach?

Yep, you got it. 😉

Since you don’t have much time in Grand Cayman, and you think you would like to snorkel, I would suggest just going to Eden Rock. I think it’s a great snorkel spot…..you said you didn’t really mind if it’s crowded, and that’s good, cause it might be. But, there is a dive shop right there, easy access into the water and a nice little swim out to the reef. There are interesting things all along as the depth gets deeper, but the best reef and fish are in fairly deep water. I haven’t been in a few years, and the coral isn’t in the best of shape, cause of the tons of people, but there are always fish!

It would fit well into your short amount of time, but it’s not a beach…it’s right in the harbor. If you really want a beach, then either do what Joe suggests and walk up to the Wharf or take a cab up to the Cemetary beach….that’s good snorkeling there and you are on the beach. That would work too.

Hello
    hello

Eden Rock might be a possibility, it sounds the easiest but I heard that its ugly. What color is the water in Eden Rock, is the water clean and clear?

Another question, Ive gone scuba diving and gone fairly deep, but I thought with snorkeling the objective was not going too far under water, so that the snorkel stays above water and the person just looks down and sees the fish etc. If a person go much further under water isnt it just swiming under water and holding ones breath which one cant do for very long? Also what happens to the snorkel if the top goes under water doesnt water go into it?

scubachar wrote:

Since you don’t have much time in Grand Cayman, and you think you would like to snorkel, I would suggest just going to Eden Rock. I think it’s a great snorkel spot….. There are interesting things all along as the depth gets deeper, but the best reef and fish are in fairly deep water..

Anonymous

Eden Rock is not by any means “ugly”. The standards in Cayman are so high, it is just not on the top of the list of places around here. Distances sound like a big concern for you so that said, I think Eden Rock, the Cali and the Wharf reefs would be fine.

It takes a little practice, but you can hold your breath and dive below the water. Your snorkel will fill with water which you ‘purge’ out with a fast exhale when you surface. 😉

Don’t think because the reefs are kind of deep at Eden Rock that you have to dive down to see them. The visibility in the Caymans is pretty incredible. You can just stay right on the surface and never dive down and have a perfectly good time. You’ll see lots!!!

Anonymous

scubachar is absolutely right. Average vertical visibility is over 80 feet and the depths at Eden Rock/Devil’s Grotto range from 20-40 feet so you will get a clear birds-eye view of the elaborate reef system.

I just want to make sure Iget this right. If anyone can confirm this or ammend this I would greatly appreciate your help. From the cruise pier, walk left, keeping the water on your left, and you will pass the wreck of

Cali, Cheeseburger Beach, then the wreck of Gamma. After these sites, you will see The Wharf and comfort Suites. This is assuming your walking west, away from town. From the pier to Comfort Suites,the distance is roughly two miles. Is Devils Grotto and Eden Rock within this two mile stretch? Also, who rents theh best snorkling equipment and how much for the day? Thanks for any help. :cheers:

Anonymous

saint_john_chris wrote:

I just want to make sure Iget this right. If anyone can confirm this or ammend this I would greatly appreciate your help. From the cruise pier, walk left, keeping the water on your left, and you will pass the wreck of

Cali, Cheeseburger Beach, then the wreck of Gamma. After these sites, you will see The Wharf and comfort Suites. This is assuming your walking west, away from town. From the pier to Comfort Suites,the distance is roughly two miles. Is Devils Grotto and Eden Rock within this two mile stretch? Also, who rents theh best snorkling equipment and how much for the day? Thanks for any help. :cheers:

Hi saint_john_chris – Welcome to the forum.

That is all correct. The Wharf/Comfort may be a little farther than 2 miles, but pretty close.

Devils Grotto and Eden Rock are about 100 yards the OTHER direction (see map “Smith Cove” in the Cruise Section). You can get snorkel gear at Eden Rock Diving Centre 20 yards PAST Paradise (who have a sign saying Eden Rock reef which is confusing). 😕 Tell them you are members of the Activity Guide message board and ask for a discount. 😉

Go to the coupon page and print them out. They are all in the area you will be and will save you some $$$. 😉

L.A.S.T.
    L.A.S.T.

Hi –

We have about 2 1/2 – 3 hours after our trip with Soto’s and would like to do some shore snorkeling. My husband would like to go whever there are fish and thinks the wrecks could be cool for a brief snorkel. 😀

We have snorkeled about 6 – 7 times and are decent swimmers, but have only been snorkeling in beginner type areas (Chakanaab, Isla Mujeres, Akumal, etc.). My 11 year old daughter has not had any problems with these places so far.

What do you suggest?

My thoughts were maybe wander from the Cali Wreck to Smith’s Cove and Eden Rock. Or, if these would be too difficult, taking a taxi to Cemetary Beach.

Just Curious 🙄

How far of a walk from The Gamma Wreck is it back to the Tender Dock?

Are there bike rentals?

I hope this was specific enough.

Lady Anna and Sir Troy (L.A.S.T)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

MAKE A RESERVATION TODAY

CLOSE

STAY

CLOSE

DINE

CLOSE

FUN

CLOSE

DIVE

CLOSE