CLOSE

SHOP & RELAX

Overnight VisitorCruise VisitorResident

CLOSE

WEDDINGS

CLOSE

Ritz Carlton

HOME Forums Accommodations Resorts Ritz Carlton

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 99 total)
  • Author

That Ritz is a big ol monstrosity and they should tear it down and put back something like the old Holiday Inn! :bash:

You don’t have to go to SMB to be irritated by the Ritz — it’s so much taller than everything else, you can see it from Rum Point! 😡

Crawford
    Crawford

I hate it. My wife hates it. We both wish it would go away. 😈

JeanmarieT
    jeanmarieT

I think the island would be better off without it. Just MHO. 😀

We were “struck” by it last year when we were on island – we couldn’t believe that it had been allowed. 🙁 It made us both sad, recalling what’s happened to Aruba since the big build-a-thon down there and converted what was once a lovely island into a strip akin to Ft. Lauderdale. This is of course just a personal opinion as we much prefer staying on islands that have retained their culture and not been ruled by the almighty $.

At least we can’t see it from The Reef! 😎

MaxAnnie
    MaxAnnie

We drove past it every day and I really don’t see what all the todo is 😕 It didn’t look that much different than the way the Hyatt was set up and it was not complete yet, so once they get the landscaping finished it might not look too bad. 😀

Gjm
    gjm

so it looks as if the Ritz is now taking reservations for January 15th and beyond. $649US/night (for an island view room) and up ($889 holiday rate) in winter and $399 after June 1st.

gjm

Gjm
    gjm

Si

groups and conventions beginning in November

“Regular” bookings beginning January 15

how is it looking to you down there on July 5th?

I can not imagine that they will have the golf course operational by January.

I would imagine a hard opening with all restaurants, spa’s and golf etc… would be sometime later next year.

gjm

Anonymous

From Cayman Net News:

Ritz Developer Award Stayed

http://www.caymannetnews.com/2005/08/893/images/ritz.jpg" alt="" title="" class="bbcode-image" />

Michael Ryan,

Ritz-Carlton Developer.

Wednesday, August 3, 2005

Having anticipated receiving some $28 million in damages from its erstwhile general contractor, Fluor Daniels, after winning a legal battle in New York, Humphreys Cayman Ltd, better known here as the Ritz-Carlton Grand Cayman developer, may yet be disappointed.

According to sources at Off-shore Alert, the Miami-based financial newsletter, the judge who presided over the case has granted a stay of the award in the wake of Fluor Daniels? motion to have the verdict overturned.

The Ritz-Carlton developer, Michael Ryan, had said at the time that, although he expected to get a favourable verdict, ?we are nonetheless gratified that the jury recognized that we had acted correctly in terminating Fluor for its failure to perform.?

The developer had terminated the services of Fluor Daniels on 3 March 2004 citing that the general contractor was unable to complete its work in a cost-effective and timely manner.

Fluor Daniels however gave a different side to the story when they initiated legal action, allegedly in order to get payment from the Ritz developer for work they had undertaken.

Some speculation had been raised over the result and the award to the Ritz-Carlton developer after Jim Miller, Humpreys? damages expert, had evidently been found to be credible by the jury, based on the outcome of the trial, even though he was reportedly caught lying on the witness stand and admitted to an error in his damages calculation of some $5 million.

Fluor Daniels were equally as shocked by the verdict as Michael Ryan was pleased, and announced in the wake of the trial result that the firm would be appealing the decision.

The latest turn of events is, therefore, less than surprising to those following the case. Fluor Daniels ? currently working here in the Cayman Islands on Dart Management?s Caymania project ? said the verdict was baseless and could not be supported as it did not reflect what had actually happened.

?Fluor strongly believes that this verdict is not supported by the facts or by applicable law and will pursue all possible avenues of reconsideration or appeal,? a spokesperson for the firm said.

One legal expert close to the case said that, in such commercial matters, trial by jury is not always ideal as the cases can be extremely complex and difficult for jurors who know nothing about contract law or indeed development, to follow and then make expert decisions or judgements.

JE429
    JE429

Anybody have any comments on the Ritz Carlton. We are looking to stay there in May 2006! Thanks for the info!

Jpep
    jpep
    Participant

JE429,

You may want to check this thread as well as the link contained therein regarding the discussions on this board regarding the Ritz.

caymanactivityguide.com/forums/Resorts-topic1340.html

From what you can see, the comments by many people were not favorable regarding the scale of the development, i.e., many people thought it was too big. I can’t speak to that since our 1st trip to GC is next month.

My wife and I have been considering going to the Ritz GC for last couple of years, but due to Ivan and construction delays/lawsuits, the property opening has been delayed for about 2 years.

As we usually stay at The Ritz Carlton, e.g., Cancun (3x), St. Thomas (2x), and once each at Jamaica , Key Biscayne, and Puerto Rico, the Ritz is our favorite hotel, where the service is consistently impeccable, and I have no reason to believe the Ritz GC would be any different.

Cayman activity guide Ritz Carlton discussion

JE429
    JE429

Thanks jpep….We’ve been doing some research and really want to stay at the Ritz. I’ve never had any problems at any Ritz we’ve stayed at. Were also looked at the one’s in Cancun and St. Thomas. Do you have any comments on those?? The one in Cancun looks magnificent but we feel weird telling people were going on our honeymoon to Cancun!! You’ll have to keep me posted after you visit GC to let me know about the Ritz!

Jpep
    jpep
    Participant

JE429,

The Ritz in Cancun is a 5 Diamond property that is absolutely magnificient. It is one of my favorite hotels. Hence the reason why we went there three times. It is consistently ranked as one of the finest resorts in the Caribbean and many employees from other Ritz properties are trained there. The hotel has two 5 diamond restaurants, The Club Grille and Fantino’s. Both are outstanding. The beach is exquisite, the water is warm, and there is great diving. I would recommend staying on the Club Floor, which includes a private lounge and concierge and 5 food and beverage presentations daily. The service is impeccable.

There are plenty of activities, from Mayan ruins to ecological parks to great diving on the Palancar reef off Cozumel and of course good shopping for jewelry and local crafts. You do get sigificant value for your travel dollar there.

As for hesitation to going to Cancun on your honeymoon, like anywhere else, as long as you are not there during spring break, it will not be overly crowded.

The Ritz St. Thomas is also beautiful, and quiet. It’s on the East end of the island across from St. John, and a about 25 minutes by car from the airport and capital, Charlotte Amalie. Although rated a 4 diamond property, the service is still great. It also has a club floor, which I would also recommend. There are 2 beaches at RC St. Thomas, both beautiful, but I do think the beach in Cancun is nicer.

I could go on, but since this site is about the Cayman Islands, I don’t think it would be appropriate. 😳

Will check out the Ritz when we are there and will advise. I suspect it will serve as an excuse (actually one of many) for my wife to decide to return to GC. 😎

Gjm
    gjm

JE429

The Ritz is not accepting reservations before January 2006. When we were there this past April, they seemed a long way from ready.

The resort is billing itself as the 8-wonders or something like that which include the greg norman golf course, la prarie spa and a few 5-star restaurants to name a few. I would call the property directly and inquire as to the opening status of each of these “wonders”.

Alternatively, the Hyatt is looking to re-open completely in February 2006 and would likely make a better choice than a 1/2 operational Ritz Carlton.

gjm

JE429
    JE429

jpep

Thanks for the information. I was having doubts about the Ritz from some of the comments but I think you have made my decision a lot easier!! There going to be re-opening late fall so it will be up and running for our honeymoon! It looks like a beautiful resort with great beaches!! Thanks again!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

MAKE A RESERVATION TODAY

CLOSE

STAY

CLOSE

DINE

CLOSE

FUN

CLOSE

DIVE

CLOSE