DIVE

Overnight VisitorCruise VisitorResident

CLOSE

SHOP & RELAX

CLOSE

WEDDINGS

CLOSE

jpep is Going to the Dominican Republic!

HOME Forums MyPage My Topics jpep is Going to the Dominican Republic!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Kurtis
    kurtis

John,

I see you are only a few days away from your visit to the DR. While you experiment with your camera, please share the results with us upon your return. BTW, where is Punta Cana? I don’t see it on RCI’s map of the DR.

Jpep
    jpep
    Participant

Kurtis,

Will do, but I cannot guarantee the results… hopefully I get more than just blue underwater pictures and shots of my thumb…. 🙄

Punta Cana is considered the southeastern coast of the DR in the town/province of Higuey. It is northeast of La Romana which is the south east point of the island. Check tripadvisor and go to Punta Cana page for a list of hotels to see if there are any RCI properties along Bavaro Beach. If you want, pm me the name(s) of the RCI hotels and I can check to see where they are and pass on any info I have learned of them in my research before we booked the trip.

Starting to get psyched for the trip…. 1 week from tomorrow!

Kurtis
    kurtis

John,

Most of the hits i get when searching on RCI are condos in the Puerto PLata area or Cabrete. While I can get the condo as a last minute deal for $99/wk, the all-inclusive fees can be excessive. Some charge a mandatory daily fee of up to $155 p/p. THat’s insane. I guess thats why they never fill up. I can’t imagine spending that much for food and drink per day, never mind the questionable quality of the buffets.

55champs
    55champs
    Participant

jpep,

Were are you staying in Punta Cana ? We stayed at Sunscape the beach in November LOVED IT !! Now were going to Grand Cayman tihs November for our honeymoon Can’t Wait !!

Bill

Jpep
    jpep
    Participant

Kurtis,

From what I understand, most of the resorts in Punta Cana are all-inclusive, since outside the “hotel zone” along Bavaro Beach, there is not much there, i.e., towns with restaurants, bars, etc. Perhaps that’s why you are not getting any RCI hits in PC. PC seems to be primarily home to large all-inclusive resorts. Puerto Plata is north of PC, along the Atlantic coast, and Cabrete is south west of Punta Cana on the Caribbean coast. Consider checking tripadvisor or debbiesdominicantravel for reviews of different areas of the DR.

$310 extra a day for food and drink is a lot, and I don’t blame you for objecting….. Even assuming $50 for 2 for breakfast and lunch, that’s $100, perhaps a couple of drinks during the day, perhaps another $30 -40

and dinner with wine, perhaps $150, comes to $290, and those assumptions were on the high end, particularly since the DR tends to be less expensive than other vacation destinations.

I can’t speak to the properties you may have been looking at but the hotel we selected, which is all-inclusive, primarily is a la carte restaurants, and maybe a buffet for breakfast… and all the restaurants received glowing reviews by travelers at trip adviser.

Good Luck with your research and decision.

Jpep
    jpep
    Participant

55champs (Bill),

We are staying at the Paradisus Palma Real which is on Bavaro Beach. The hotel just opened December 23, 2005 and has received glowing reviews of the service, restaurants, beach, accomodations, resort design and layout from travelers who recently stayed there.

Really looking forward to the trip, and my diving is included in the price…. :diving: :thumb:

You will really enjoy GC, as we did when we were there in November 2005. There is a ton of information on this board regarding anything you could conceivably do on GC. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Good luck with the wedding plans. :wine:

Jpep
    jpep
    Participant

Kurtis,

I realized I gave you inaccurate information regarding the location of Cabarete. It is actually north west of Punta Cana and sout/southeast of Puerto Plata on the Atlantic Coast. I was confusing Cabarete with Boca Chica, which, along with Juan Dolio, La Romana and Bayahibe are on the southern/Caribbean coast. Hope this helps.

55champs
    55champs
    Participant

jpep,

The Palma Real is supposed to be beautful let us know how it went. ENJOY !!

Bill

Jpep
    jpep
    Participant

55champs(Bill),

From everything I have seen online of the Paradisus Palma Real, it does indeed look beautiful, and we are looking forward to the trip. I will let you know. Thanks.

John

Jpep
    jpep
    Participant

Hello everyone,

Just got back from vacation Saturday evening and today is the 1st day back at work…. Although it is good to be home… not sure if I can say that about work ….

Trip was wonderful and will put together a brief report with photos shortly…. as soon as I figure out getting the digital photos from the camera to the computer and ultimately on photobucket…

Hope all is well with everyone… TTYL

jpep

Welcome home, jpep!

Thank you for checking in on your first day back to work!!

So glad you had a good vacation and we look forward to hearing more about it when you have a chance.

Char

Arak
    arak
    Participant

Jpep,

I also want to welcome you back. 🙂 We are waiting to hear about your trip, how you liked your underwater camera…and to see pictures, of course.

Cheers :wine:

Lynda

Jpep
    jpep
    Participant

Char & Lynda,

Thanks for the good wishes…. had a great trip and indeed glad to be home…

Digital camera worked well on land…. no issues there…. bit of a problem when diving…. long story short…. due to weather/water conditions… only able to get in a single one tank dive…. and camera froze up u/w after 3 shots…. not sure if it was the battery…. or my ineptitude…. will provide more details when I do a report…

Thanks again for the welcome back…

John

Jpep,

I had the same problem with my u/w camera when I went to Stingray City last year. Not sure what happened, but it’s been working ever since. Maybe it got scared…………. :water: Looking forward to your trip report and seeing those pics!

Jpep
    jpep
    Participant

corntobewild,

What u/w camera were you using? I had the Sealife dc500 with digital strobe…. and although both camera and strobe worked together perfectly (certainly better than my photo skills) for 3 shots…. thereafter… nothing… in fact, after getting back to my room and cleaning/drying housing and stobe…. after opening the housing I noted the camera lens never retracted, as it usually does when powered off….. after charging the battery…. it worked fine… both in and out of the housing… my suspicion is that because I kept the camera on the whole time u/w…. before the freeze up, the LCD screen ran down the battery….

Proper decorum prohibits me from saying how that made me feel…. :gavel:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

MAKE A RESERVATION TODAY

CLOSE

STAY

CLOSE

DINE

CLOSE

FUN

CLOSE

DIVE

CLOSE