Overnight VisitorCruise VisitorResident

CLOSE

SHOP & RELAX

CLOSE

WEDDINGS

CLOSE

Cruise Ship Calendar – Number of Ships in Grand Cayman Each Day

HOME Forums Cruise Ship Activities Making The Most Of One Day Cruise Ship Calendar – Number of Ships in Grand Cayman Each Day

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

beckypu – It will be one hour earlier here than in Miami until the US reverts back to standard time. If your ship arrives early enough to have you ashore by 8am, definitely book the 9am Soto’s Stingray City tour. That will leave you most of the afternoon to do things such as: go to a beach, like Royal Palms or Comfort Suites; do a submarine ride with Atlantis or Bubble Sub; have an authentic Caribbean gourmet meal at Lobster Pot; do a little shopping in Georgetown. Be sure to print our http://www.caymanactivityguide.com/Coupons_01.gif" alt="" title="" class="bbcode-image" /> and bring them with you to save money on many things close to where you will dock. 😉

Beckypu
    beckypu
    Participant

Thanks Much Joe, I sent an email to Kerri. Thanks for the information and this website! This is awesome! I’m a little squeamish of big fish, but I heard you just can’t miss this tour. I went snorkeling in Aruba in 1998 (The only time I have been in the Caribbeans) and it was such a blast. The caymans looks so much more beautiful! I have to say it again, I just hope mother nature is kind to us on our trip. We are booked to getting married on the ship in Jamaica. We didn’t want to marry in the Caymans because we wanted to do this tour!

Thanks again for all of your help!! :clapping:

Busric
    busric

Does anyone know where the ships are anchoring in reference to 7 mile beach? Using Google Earth it looks to be quite a distance from the beach but looking at the Royal Palms Webcam, they appear fairly close to the beach area. Just curious as I like to study the maps and such to get a good feel for the layout before visiting.

Great Info here!

Hi busric! Welcome to the forum 🙂 !

You’re so right! Those ships are SOOO big, and the distances not all that great, that they often do look like they are anchored just off the beach. It’s really not all that far, but they are anchored in the harbor area in Georgetown. Have you looked at these maps on this site? http://www.caymanactivityguide.com/forums/images/ButtonHere.gif" alt="" title="" class="bbcode-image" />

Map # 3 is of 7 Mile Beach…..if you scroll to the right, you’ll see the area that Map #4 is in relationship to 7 Mile Beach. Then, if you actually go to Map #4, which is of Georgetown, and this time scroll down, you will see it in greater detail and be able to see the harbor area. That should help you put it all into perspective.

Char

Divnpaul
    divnpaul
    Participant

Royal Palms is about a mile and a half from George Town, where the cruise ships dock. And as Char said, they are that big. Their stacks are usually visible from Sting Ray City, even Rum Point sometimes…

Sassy1
    sassy1

:clapping: 🙄

My husband & I are wanting to renew our vows on the beach, any suggestions of who to contact? Also there will be 4 boats there on the day we will be there with 11 traveling in our group any suggestions on snorkeling or horseback riding for all of us togather?

TommyJW
    TommyJW

Wow! I LOVE this function as I found out that there will be NO ships in port the days we are there!

Missnonnie
    missnonnie

Hi,

Last night I was browing this site—which is absolutely awesome with all the maps and restaurant menus listed in full—and I came across a link to cruise ship schedules. We will be on the island form 06/26 to 07/01/09, and are trying to find out the best day to go to the Sting Ray sandbar (in other words, a day when the cruise ships aren’t in port!). Unfortunately, I found so many other links to other topics that I didn’t click on the cruise ship link, and now it isn’t coming up when I search the site. Can anyone tell me where to find the link? Thanks a bunch!

Beach Life
    Beach Life
    Participant

missnonnie wrote:

Can anyone tell me where to find the link? Thanks a bunch!

missnonnie: There is a link from Joe at the very beginning of this post (on page 1) which has a link going to Ship Schedules at the Cayman Port Authority.

It takes a few seconds to load the page, but it seems to work well!

Here’s the link to the post about the cruise ship schedule. http://www.caymanactivityguide.com/forums/images/ButtonHere.gif" alt="" title="" class="bbcode-image" />

I wouldn’t worry too much about how many cruise ships are in on the day you go with Soto’s. They’re only going to take so many people on their boat….usually limited to 20 or 30……..they will never pack them full of cruise ship passengers like so many of the other operators. Even if there are other boats around, Soto’s will take you to a part of the sandbar where you won’t be affected by them anyway.

I went with Soto’s in 2008 and I took pictures of some of the other boats run by other operators. As you can see, they are packed to the gills and seem very overcrowded. I don’t have a picture of Soto’s, but we had less than 20 people on our boat and had lots of room and personal attention. The boats in these pictures weren’t even all that close…..I’m pretty sure that I zoomed in on them to take the pictures…..so, they were not close enough to us to matter.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/scubachar/Cayman%202008/IMG_0528.jpg" alt="" title="" class="bbcode-image" />

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/scubachar/Cayman%202008/IMG_0528.jpg" alt="" title="" class="bbcode-image" />

Doesn’t that look like fun (NOT!)

Another thought is that Soto’s has two trips each day, so if you really don’t want to see all those cruise ship passengers, you could probably avoid them by going on the afternoon trip. Most of the cruise ship passengers are heading back to the ship by then.

The most important consideration for me when I decide to go to Stingray City (i.e., the Sandbar) is the weather. Just check with Soto’s when you get to town, and ask them when they think the best day would be to go.

You can’t go wrong with Soto’s and they go out of their way to make sure that Cayman Actiivity Guide members have a good experience.

Char

Maoneal
    maoneal

Hi Joe,

My wife and I will be in port on 3/18/2010 for the day. We have been to SR city before and we are trying to find some good snorkeling or a shallow dive. We’re both PADI cert. can you suggest some good operators ?

Regards,

Raschro1
    raschro1

i was reading someone post and saw they had said that there were 6 cruise ships when they were traveling. is there any place on here where i could see how busy it will be when i travel Dec 17-Dec 23

Thanks,

Ron

Shelly
    shelly

The Cayman Port Authority has a webpage which lists all the ships that are in port, plus the total number of passengers in port. You can easily figure out which days to avoid town

Dec. 17 1 ship (2,974)

Dec. 18 no ships

Dec.19 no ships

Dec. 20 2 ships (5,552)

Dec. 21 4 ships (11,432)

Dec. 22 5 ships (8,596)

Dec. 23 3 ships (8,204)

Divesergeant
    divesergeant
    Participant

We usually try to go into town on a day with at least one but no more than two ships. If no ships are in we’ve found in the past that some stores stay closed or have limited hours, so planning a town trip when one ship is in works well. On Shelly’s post, it looks like Dec 20 would be a good day!

Happy shopping,

DS

Wwilliams
    wwilliams

FYI – I’ve been monitoring the schedule for a few months and I’ve noticed the closer you get to your date, the possibility of more cruise ships increases. Don’t just check it once and forget.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

MAKE A RESERVATION TODAY

CLOSE

STAY

CLOSE

DINE

CLOSE

FUN

CLOSE

DIVE

CLOSE