Play Stop
Memberlist Register Follow Cayman Islands Activity Guide on Twitter  Cayman Activity Guide on My space Follow Cayman Activity Guide on Facebook
Profile Log in to check your private messages

Royal Palms Live Webcam
Temperature: 86.1°F / 30.1°C | Humidity: 61% | Pressure: 29.96in / 1014hPa () | Conditions: Scattered Clouds | Wind Direction: South | Wind Speed: 2.3mph / 3.7km/h | Water Temperature: 82 ° F
 Local News:  CIMA turns to past boss to tackle insurance gap    Haines reaches 3rd way mark with 2/3 cash to go    Officials send 32 Cuban migrants back home    School trip costs out of reach    Premier touts for business in New York    Campers leave beaches clean    Court filing claims fiddling with status application    Goans enjoyed Easter Ball    
FAQFAQ TOSTOS SearchSearch View unanswered postsView unanswered posts  
Earn CAG Credits with Every Review - Reward Values $25 - $1,200

Directions to Ivory Kai Point aka "Starfish Beach"

As a non-registered guest, you are only able to read a portion of our forums. For complete access to all forums and the lowest prices and greatest savings, please spend a few minutes and register.

Post new topic   Reply to topic      Cayman Activity Guide Forum Index -> Snorkeling

View previous topic :: View next topic  

akatoraReply with quote
Temporary Resident0
Temporary Resident

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Directions to Ivory Kai Point aka "Starfish Beach"

Hi! I received a PM from someone requesting directions to the starfish beach but I don't have permission to reply so I am giving the directions here. Everyone benefits from the directions anyway...

Hi Lisa,

Of course I remember you! Hope you are doing well.

Starfish beach is officially called "Ivory Kai Point".

Just before Rum Point you hang a left and follow signs to Kaibo Yacht Club. (There will be a fork in the road just before the yacht club. Keep following the sign to the yacht club - you will take the right fork.)

Go past the yacht club to the end of the road. Ivory Kai Point is on your left I believe. There is a portico (archway) that you drive through. The words "Ivory Kai Point" are on the portico on the right side but it is almost hidden by overgrowth. Drive through the portico and you will find yourself in a dead end circle/cul-de-sac. There used to be a Jesus statue in the middle of the circle but it is gone now because the property has been sold and will soon have condos on it.

Park the car half way around the "circle" on the sand/dirt. The beach is directly in front. When I was there (July '07) there was a lot of garbage near the parking area from left over BBQ's which upset me (just a warning). The beach itself is clean. If you don't see any starfish just swim out to where the drop is, not too far out. The starfish will be at the bottom about 8 to 10 feet down. Just swim down and pick them up and bring them to shallow water. They don't bite, LOL. Just be careful handling them and don't take them out of the water for more than a couple seconds.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Ant star

Edited By : akatora Mon, 24 Sep 2007 22:49:06 -0400
0 person likes this post.

Rumrunner01Reply with quote
Status Member0
Status Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject:

The last couple of times we have gone we go later in the afternoon. They seem to be more in abundance later in the day! I dont know if they are feeding or what. Have fun and enjoy their beauty!

Jana

missyb62Reply with quote
Frequent Flyer0
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: THANK YOU

THANK YOU FOR THE DIRECTIONS. LAST YEAR WE MISSED THE TURN AND JUST WENT ON TO RUM POINT.

philolReply with quote
Newbie0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Condos on Starfish Point?

Heading to Cayman in a month.
Since this last post was over 2.5 years ago was wondering if the condos really got built on Starfish Point or if the economy killed them? (hope so)
Thanks

akatoraReply with quote
Temporary Resident0
Temporary Resident

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Hi and welcome to the forum! Actually the economy has delayed the building of the condos, but just recently the area has been cleared of brush and the road past the portico is gated and locked. You can still get to starfish beach but you will have to walk from that point. Just before the gate that says "Ivory Kai Point" you can park on the left in an open area and walk to the beach and then to the right. I didn't have to go far before I spotted a few starfish. I was just there a few weeks ago.

Ant palm

Edited By : akatora Sunday, 26 September 2010 02:46:15 AM.

wwilliamsReply with quote
Frequent Flyer0
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: We went last week.

Last Tuesday, 12-8-2010, the left gate was totally ripped off and put on the right hand side so it was wide open. We could have drove right through it to the point but parked and walked. Was a good decision since we did see some nice starfish that day. Met a boat captain there who was guiding a couple on a tour and he said to look for them where the turtle grass and water meet.

shellyReply with quote
Native
Credits:
(6)

Native

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject:

We walked over there today, and they now have installed barrier posts every few feet at the entrance so that cars cannot drive down the road to get to the beach. You can walk in between the barriers. The fence has been removed.

They have also removed some plantings in a circle after you enter. Wonder when they'll start construction.

Shelly :-)

Joe StebbinsReply with quote
Founder/Administrator
Credits:
(17)

Founder/Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject:

shellyReply with quote
Native
Credits:
(6)

Native

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject:

Here's a picture of the posts at Starfish Beach as of Dec.17th. We got a new computer and it has taken me forever to figure out how to do this now and then there were some changes from last year in photobucket too. Hopes this works.

Edited By : shelly Monday, 20 December 2010 03:17:53 PM.

shellyReply with quote
Native
Credits:
(6)

Native

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Now they're really protecting that property. Drove by today and in addition to the posts, the gate is up again with a sign

I guess you could walk in through the road on the left and go along the beach--I guess they can't keep you from walking along the edge of the water, can they?

Joe StebbinsReply with quote
Founder/Administrator
Credits:
(17)

Founder/Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject:

shelly wrote:
I guess they can't keep you from walking along the edge of the water, can they?

No, they can't. All beaches in the Cayman Islands - past the vegetation line, are public property. I can understand why the property owners would not want their beach to become a tourist attraction so I recommend going to Kaibo and taking a scenic stroll along the beach to see the starfish. Wink

Please note that picking up starfish will cause them to expend unnecessary energy that they need for hunting, avoiding predators and mating and apply the age old diving adage:
Take only pictures
Keep only memories
Leave only bubbles - or in this case, footsteps

shellyReply with quote
Native
Credits:
(6)

Native

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject:

I did see starfish this year near the Kaibo dock and also in the water at the park at the end of the road near Kaibo. This is the first time I've seen them there.

Edited By : shelly Tuesday, 28 December 2010 09:49:02 PM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Cayman Activity Guide Forum Index -> Snorkeling
Page 1 of 1

Rate as     
__  based on no votes ratings.
Post a reply

Choose Display Order
User Permissions